Solicitor/CILEx (0-2 PQE) - SHE
We employ over 25 specialist lawyers in our Safety, Health and Environment (SHE) team, one of the largest in the UK. The team operates from a number of key locations, including Leeds, where we are looking to recruit an experienced solicitor or outstanding NQ into our busy team.
The work includes advising insurers, public sector and corporate clients in relation to investigations and prosecutions by a wide range of regulators including the Police, Health and Safety Executive, Environment Agency, Environmental Health and Trading Standards We deal with all aspects of advice and defence. We are currently instructed in a number of corporate manslaughter cases and investigations. If you have any questions, please contact Emma Colls firstname.lastname@example.org
- Working within our Leeds SHE team you will be predominantly assisting a senior fee earner, but will be expected to assist other senior fee earners and build up to running your own defence case load encompassing a range of regulatory issues with supervision and support from partners and associates
- The work will include managing a range of contentious and non-contentious regulatory issues for a variety of clients.
- The lawyer will be required to handle a varied workload in accordance with client protocols with supervision. Act as a point of contact for clients, demonstrating a level of knowledge and skill commensurate with experience.
- Demonstrate sound file management – to include compliance with DAC Beachcroft protocols and any client protocols as required; consistent and accurate billing and credit control; management of WIP and file closures; updating Management Information
- Assume responsibility for quality control and benchmark compliance on own caseload, including accuracy and timeliness of management reporting and information
- Aim to achieve a minimum budgeted annual target of 1440 chargeable hours per year
- Employ a consistent approach to achieving individual targets of financial performance including realisation rates
- Assist with business development activities with a view to establishing new revenue streams for the firm.
- Build an awareness of DAC Beachcroft's other services. Build effective internal and external networks.
- Maintain and develop technical knowledge through attendance at training sessions, reading appropriate publications and exceeding Law Society CPD requirements.
Due to the nature of the role you will need to be able to drive, spend time away on cases and be flexible in working hours.
The Ideal Candidate
- NQ - 2PQE Solicitor with some experience/awareness of regulatory work – ideally, this will include advising on any of the following - health and safety incident investigations, interviews under caution, prosecutions, environmental breaches, breaches of trading standards, food law and/or fire safety.
- Candidates with experience of financial services regulation will also be considered. Inquest experience is beneficial but not essential as long as you have a willingness to learn and a proactive approach to understanding the area quickly
- Excellent relationship and client handling skills. Able to deal confidently and professionally with clients on day to day issues.
- Able to demonstrate a reasonable level of self-sufficiency, combined with an awareness of the boundaries of own competence/authority.
- An ability to adopt a commercial perspective rather than an ‘academic’ approach to legal issues.
- Willingness to travel at short notice in order to assist clients to manage situations on the ground as they happen
- Display a willingness (and ideally previous experience) of business development activities
- The ability to deliver services to our clients which are both of high quality and value for money
- Excellent legal drafting, analytical and negotiating skills
- Proactive and energetic with a tenacious approach to identifying issues and solving problems
- Change oriented with a positive, flexible approach towards the implementation of new initiatives.
- Team oriented. A collegiate approach to sharing knowledge and working with both senior and junior colleagues across different locations and practice groups is essential
- IT literate and competent with social media applications.
- Full driving licence
About the Company
We are a leading international legal business with over 2,400 colleagues and a diverse range of capabilities. We have 11 offices in the UK as well as offices in Dublin, Madrid, Paris, Singapore, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Miami. We also have associations/alliances with firms in Northern Ireland, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Brazil, Peru, Central America, Argentina, the USA, Australia and Germany.
We are known for our market-leading presence in sectors such as Insurance, Health and Real Estate. This is complemented by a fast-growing Business Advisory capability. We represent a wide range of clients, ranging from household names to government departments and NHS bodies. We act for the majority of the top 30 insurance and financial services companies operating in the UK. We are the asset management lawyers for the UK’s largest shopping centres and act for 9 of the UK’s top 10 housebuilders.
We have an impressive legal pedigree, with 155 Chambers UK 2019 practice area and individual lawyer rankings, including 30 rankings at 'Band 1' level. In Legal 500 UK, 2018, the firm received top tier ranking for 32 of its practice areas and 59 practice areas in the top two tiers. In March 2018, we were named as one of Legal Week's Best Legal Advisors for the third year running, achieving category-leading satisfaction scores for our commercial approach, service delivery, quality of legal advice, communication & responsiveness and overall relationships.
Our vision is to be leading business advisers, recognised for our insight and our outstanding commitment to clients, and for being the place where talented people want to work. For further details on our work and our culture, please visit www.dacbeachcroft.com.
DAC Beachcroft is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. We also welcome direct applications. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.