Solicitor/Associate - Property Casualty
DAC Beachcroft is recognised as a leading market practice in property insurance (domestic and international), providing a comprehensive service that includes handling a broad range of coverage, liability, defence and recovery issues, from multi-million pound major incidents and complicated policy coverage issues to dealing with modest value volume property claims.
We are looking for a solicitor or associate to join the property casualty group of our market-leading global insurance team on a permanent contract based in London. Some experience of business interruption insurance is preferable.
What we are known for:
- We act for leading UK and global insurance and reinsurers;
- We provide comprehensive claims resolution and policy advice including mediation, arbitration and litigation in UK, internationally and in multi-jurisdictional cases;
- We have a specialist insurance claims, regulatory and advisory team;
- We provide cross-class capability;
- We operate as one firm, one team, one approach;
- We demonstrate international expertise and local knowledge.
Our Property, Engineering and Construction services:
- Coverage issues and policy drafting
- First and third party losses
- Business interruption claims
- Fire, explosions, flood and impact damage
- Property recovery actions
- Major losses
- Plant or building failure
- Fraudulent claims
- Comparative law expertise
- Capable of analysing and applying legal principles to a complex factual scenario, with a view to achieving a commercial resolution for the client.
- Able to deal confidently and professionally with clients on day to day issues, where appropriate.
- Able to demonstrate a reasonable level of self-sufficiency and initiative, combined with an awareness of the boundaries of own competence/authority.
- An ability to adopt a commercial perspective as well as an academic approach to legal issues.
- Change oriented with a positive, flexible approach towards the implementation of new initiatives.
- Team oriented and collegiate with a willingness to work as part of a team on larger matters and to assist with development of business.
The Ideal Candidate
- A Solicitor/Associate of between 2-6PQE
- Good technical legal skills are essential for the role (with a preference for some experience of business interruption insurance)
- Ability to manage a litigation caseload and/or supporting Partners and colleagues on larger complex cases.
- Analyse and apply legal principles and facts to derive technically sound, commercial strategies for complex cases.
- Show sound judgment in decision making, focused on client and case needs.
- Work with appropriate levels of supervision, recognising matters for escalation.
- Draft and review correspondence, reports and litigation documents.
- Demonstrate and develop a competent, high quality level of technical expertise.
- Maintain caseload in good organisational shape and in accordance with client quality and service level agreements.
- Work to deadlines, prioritises workload and meets conflicting demands on time.
- Meet and looks to exceed personal monthly and annual financial targets.
- Show commercial appreciation of personal and team’s link to achieving financial targets (e.g. utilisation, realisation, work in progress).
- Continually monitor and take responsibility for own performance.
- Demonstrate proactive financial management; attention to billing regimes, credit control, debt collection, accounting procedures and client service level agreements.
- Record time accurately and appropriately.
- Engage with and maintain existing client relationships together with a willingness to be proactive in seeking out client development opportunities.
- Understand and comply with client service level agreements.
- Develop an understanding of the client's and our business and how the two fit together.
- Demonstrate strong analytical and problem solving skills.
About the Company
We are a leading international legal business with over 2,400 colleagues and a diverse range of capabilities. We have 11 offices in the UK as well as offices in Dublin, Madrid, Paris, Singapore, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Miami. We also have associations/alliances with firms in Northern Ireland, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Brazil, Peru, Central America, Argentina, the USA, Australia and Germany.
We are known for our market-leading presence in sectors such as Insurance, Health and Real Estate. This is complemented by a fast-growing Business Advisory capability. We represent a wide range of clients, ranging from household names to government departments and NHS bodies. We act for the majority of the top 30 insurance and financial services companies operating in the UK. We are the asset management lawyers for the UK’s largest shopping centres and act for 9 of the UK’s top 10 housebuilders.
We have an impressive legal pedigree, with 155 Chambers UK 2019 practice area and individual lawyer rankings, including 30 rankings at 'Band 1' level. In Legal 500 UK, 2018, the firm received top tier ranking for 32 of its practice areas and 59 practice areas in the top two tiers. In March 2018, we were named as one of Legal Week's Best Legal Advisors for the third year running, achieving category-leading satisfaction scores for our commercial approach, service delivery, quality of legal advice, communication & responsiveness and overall relationships.
Our vision is to be leading business advisers, recognised for our insight and our outstanding commitment to clients, and for being the place where talented people want to work. For further details on our work and our culture, please visit www.dacbeachcroft.com.
DAC Beachcroft is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. We also welcome direct applications. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.