Solicitor/Associate - Property Casualty - Global London
DAC Beachcroft is recognised as a leading market practice in property insurance (domestic and international), providing a comprehensive service that includes handling a broad range of coverage, liability, defence and recovery issues, from multi-million pound major incidents and complicated policy coverage issues to dealing with modest value volume property claims.
We are looking for a solicitor/associate to join the property casualty group of our market-leading global insurance team on a permanent contract based in London.
What we are known for:
- We act for leading UK and global insurance and reinsurers;
- We provide comprehensive claims resolution and policy advice including mediation, arbitration and litigation in UK, internationally and in multi-jurisdictional cases;
- We have a specialist insurance claims, regulatory and advisory team;
- We provide cross-class capability;
- We operate as one firm, one team, one approach;
- We demonstrate international expertise and local knowledge.
Our Property, Engineering and Construction services:
- Coverage issues and policy drafting
- First and third party losses
- Business interruption claims
- Fire, explosions, flood and impact damage
- Property recovery actions
- Major losses
- Plant or building failure
- Fraudulent claims
- Comparative law expertise
- Capable of analysing and applying legal principles to a complex factual scenario, with a view to achieving a commercial resolution for the client.
- Able to deal confidently and professionally with clients on day to day issues, where appropriate.
- Able to demonstrate a reasonable level of self-sufficiency and initiative, combined with an awareness of the boundaries of own competence/authority.
- An ability to adopt a commercial perspective as well as an academic approach to legal issues.
- Change oriented with a positive, flexible approach towards the implementation of new initiatives.
- Team oriented and collegiate with a willingness to work as part of a team on larger matters and to assist with development of business.
The Ideal Candidate
- A Solicitor/Associate of between 2-6PQE
- Good technical legal skills are essential for the role
- Ability to manage a litigation caseload and/or supporting Partners and colleagues on larger complex cases,
- Good knowledge of E&W procedural processes,
- Analyse and apply legal principles and facts to derive technically sound, commercial strategies for complex cases.
- Show sound judgment in decision making, focused on client and case needs.
- Work with appropriate levels of supervision, recognising matters for escalation.
- Draft and review correspondence, reports and litigation documents.
- Demonstrate and develop a competent, high quality level of technical expertise.
- Maintain caseload in good organisational shape and in accordance with client quality and service level agreements.
- Work to deadlines, prioritises workload and meets conflicting demands on time.
- Meet and looks to exceed personal monthly and annual financial targets.
- Show commercial appreciation of personal and team’s link to achieving financial targets (e.g. utilisation, realisation, work in progress).
- Continually monitor and take responsibility for own performance.
- Demonstrate proactive financial management; attention to billing regimes, credit control, debt collection, accounting procedures and client service level agreements.
- Record time accurately and appropriately.
- Engage with and maintain existing client relationships together with a willingness to be proactive in seeking out client development opportunities.
- Understand and comply with client service level agreements.
- Develop an understanding of the client's and our business and how the two fit together.
- Demonstrate strong analytical and problem solving skills.
About the Company
We are a leading international legal business with over 2,500 colleagues and a diverse range of capabilities. We have 11 offices in the UK as well as offices in Dublin, Madrid, Paris, Singapore, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Miami. We also have associations/alliances with firms in Malaysia, Brazil, Peru, Argentina, Central America, the USA, Australia and Germany.
We are a broad-based commercial firm with a strong heritage in insurance, health and real estate. This is complemented by a fast-growing Business Advisory capability. We represent a wide range of clients, ranging from household names to government departments and NHS bodies. We act for all of the UK’s top-ten insurers, we are market leaders in the provision of strategic, commercial and regulatory advice to providers and commissioners in the health sector, and in real estate we advise all of the UK’s top-12 housebuilders.
We have an impressive legal pedigree, with 142 Chambers UK 2021 practice area and individual lawyer rankings. In Legal 500 UK 2021, the firm received a top tier ranking for 37 of its practice areas, and 58 DACB lawyers were singled out in the ‘Leading Individual' rankings.
Our successes have been recognised by the legal industry and the markets in which we operate. These accolades include two top prizes in the ‘Excellence in Business Development’ and ‘Excellence in Technology & Innovation’ categories of the 2020 Law Society Excellence Awards – the highest accolade for law firms in England & Wales. Our health sector team won the ‘Crisis Management Team of the Year’ award at the 2020 British Legal Awards for its support to the NHS at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, and our Cyber & Data Risk team received the ‘Business Development Innovation Award’ at the 2020 Legal Innovation Awards, as well as ‘Cyber Law Firm of the Year’ at the prestigious Insurance Insider Cyber Rankings Awards, for its market-leading suite of digital tools to help our clients prepare for and respond to cyber and data risk crises.
Our vision is to be leading business advisers, recognised for our insight and our outstanding commitment to clients, and for being the place where talented people want to work. For further details on our work and our culture, please visit www.dacbeachcroft.com.
At DAC Beachcroft, we don’t just accept your differences we celebrate them. From bespoke solutions for our clients, to treating you like an individual. Our strength comes from your diverse ideas and bringing the whole you to work. So if you’re good at what you do, come as you are. We welcome direct applications and are happy to talk flexible working.
We also want you to be at your very best. Please feel free to let us know of any changes we can make at any point in the recruitment process that will help support your application. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.
Note for Recruitment Agencies – the DAC Beachcroft recruitment team is responsible for managing all current vacancies through direct hiring and referrals wherever possible. We do work with recruitment agencies and where we require external support we will formally release those vacancies to the agencies on our Preferred Supplier List deemed best placed to assist us. Speculative CVs sent by any agency to any DAC Beachcroft employee without a specific request by the recruitment team will not be accepted and with no introduction fee applicable. Our recruitment team can be contacted at email@example.com