Solicitor/Associate - Commercial Litigation
We are seeking an additional Solicitor/Associate (circa 1-5PQE) to join our highly reputed London Commercial Litigation team.
The team is currently made up of 7 specialist partners (our most recent partner was made up on 1 May 2020; particularly pleasing as she trained at the firm), 1 legal director, 3 senior associates, 2 associates and 5 solicitors of varying levels of qualification. The team ordinarily takes two trainees each seat and has at least 1 paralegal and a senior professional support lawyer to support the team with new legal developments and training. We frequently work with lawyers from other groups across the firm, depending upon the case or matter in question
The London Commercial Litigation team has a strong reputation amongst its peers. It is particularly known for corporate/commercial disputes and regulatory work in the banking and financial services arena, accountants' regulatory investigations and professional liability, and IT/IP/defamation.
We advise clients across a diverse range of commercial disputes from litigation in the English High Court to multi-billion pound international arbitrations. We advise across a broad range of industries and we also provide non-contentious and contentious advice on bribery and corruption and corporate/AML compliance programmes.
- Managing a busy commercial litigation caseload and/or providing support to Partners and colleagues on larger complex cases.
- Engaging with and maintaining existing client relationships.
- Working to deadlines, prioritising workload and meeting conflicting demands on time.
- Meeting or exceeding personal monthly and annual financial targets.
- Developing an understanding of clients' and DACB's business.
The successful candidate will be expected to work with all the partners in the team. Much of the current work relates to claims in the region of £10-100M+ in value but the role will include acting for clients with smaller claims. The appointment supports the team's aspirations to grow in size. The work includes the following:
- General commercial litigation work. This includes contract disputes, breach of warranty claims under SPAs, project finance issues, internal company disputes, international arbitration and work with the employment & pensions team in civil claims arising from employment issues.
- Banking and finance disputes which include acting for (and against) international banks and their senior employees in a wide range of regulatory and commercial disputes.
- PI and regulatory instructions acting for major accountancy firms.
- Advising on bringing and defending defamation claims for clients including insurers, public bodies, large corporates and high net worth individuals. This part of the practice also includes IP work, where the team regularly advises insurers and other T200 clients on copyright, trademark, design and passing off disputes.
The Ideal Candidate
- Qualified Solicitor with circa 1-5 years PQE, capable of handling complex commercial litigation matters.
- Shows sound judgement in decision making, focused on client and case needs.
- Works with appropriate levels of supervision.
- Demonstrates and develops a high quality level of technical expertise.
- Demonstrates proactive financial management in relation to billing, credit control and client service level agreements.
- Able to deal confidently and professionally with clients on day to day issues.
- Demonstrates commercial judgement
- Team oriented and collegiate with a willingness to work as part of a team on larger matters and to assist with development of business.
What the team can offer
The successful candidate will have the following opportunities:
- to work with all partners in the team across the various different sectors of work;
- to work with a friendly group of lawyers from diverse backgrounds;
- to grow a specialised practice of their own over time;
- to be involved in Business Development initiatives;
- to be invited to regular training seminars and webinars and progress their legal knowledge and education;
- to join networking groups such as the YFLA, JLSLA and LSLA; and
- to continuously develop skills in a role where no two days are the same.
About the Company
We are a leading international legal business with over 2,400 colleagues and a diverse range of capabilities. We have 11 offices in the UK as well as offices in Dublin, Madrid, Paris, Singapore, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Miami. We also have associations/alliances with firms in Northern Ireland, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Brazil, Peru, Central America, Argentina, the USA, Australia and Germany.
We are known for our market-leading presence in sectors such as Insurance, Health and Real Estate. This is complemented by a fast-growing Business Advisory capability. We represent a wide range of clients, ranging from household names to government departments and NHS bodies. We act for the majority of the top 30 insurance and financial services companies operating in the UK. We are the asset management lawyers for the UK’s largest shopping centres and act for 9 of the UK’s top 10 housebuilders.
We have an impressive legal pedigree, with 155 Chambers UK 2019 practice area and individual lawyer rankings, including 30 rankings at 'Band 1' level. In Legal 500 UK, 2018, the firm received top tier ranking for 32 of its practice areas and 59 practice areas in the top two tiers. In March 2018, we were named as one of Legal Week's Best Legal Advisors for the third year running, achieving category-leading satisfaction scores for our commercial approach, service delivery, quality of legal advice, communication & responsiveness and overall relationships.
Our vision is to be leading business advisers, recognised for our insight and our outstanding commitment to clients, and for being the place where talented people want to work. For further details on our work and our culture, please visit www.dacbeachcroft.com.
DAC Beachcroft is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. We also welcome direct applications. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.