Solicitor/Associate - Commercial Litigation - London
We are seeking an additional Solicitor/Associate (circa 2-5PQE) to join our highly reputed London Commercial Litigation team.
The c.30 lawyer team is currently made up of 7 specialist partners, 1 legal director, 3 senior associates and 11 associates/solicitors of varying levels of qualification. The team currently has 2-3 trainees each seat and 5 paralegals, together with a senior professional support lawyer to support the team with new legal developments and training. We frequently work with lawyers from other groups across the firm, depending upon the case or matter in question
The London Commercial Litigation team has a strong reputation amongst its peers. It is particularly known for corporate/commercial disputes and regulatory work in the banking and financial services arena, accountants' regulatory investigations and professional liability, and IT/IP/defamation.
We advise clients across a diverse range of commercial disputes from litigation in the English High Court to multi-billion pound international arbitrations. We advise across a broad range of industries and we also provide non-contentious and contentious advice on bribery and corruption and corporate/AML compliance programmes.
- Managing a busy commercial litigation caseload and/or providing support to Partners and colleagues on larger complex cases.
- Engaging with and maintaining existing client relationships.
- Working to deadlines, prioritising workload and meeting conflicting demands on time.
- Meeting or exceeding personal monthly and annual financial targets.
- Developing an understanding of clients' and DACB's business.
The successful candidate will be expected to work with all the partners in the team. Much of the current work relates to claims in the region of £10-100M+ in value but the role will include acting for clients with smaller claims. The appointment supports the team's aspirations to grow in size. The work includes the following:
- General commercial litigation work. This includes contract disputes, breach of warranty claims under SPAs, project finance issues, internal company disputes, international arbitration and work with the employment & pensions team in civil claims arising from employment issues.
- Banking and finance disputes which include acting for (and against) international banks and their senior employees in a wide range of regulatory and commercial disputes.
- Acting for major accountancy firms on PI and regulatory matters.
- Advising on bringing and defending defamation claims for clients including insurers, public bodies, large corporates and high net worth individuals.
- IP work, where the team regularly advises insurers and other T200 clients on copyright, trademark, design and passing off disputes.
The Ideal Candidate
- Qualified Solicitor with circa 2-5 years PQE, capable of handling complex commercial litigation matters.
- Shows sound judgement in decision making, focused on client and case needs.
- Works with appropriate levels of supervision.
- Demonstrates and develops a high quality level of technical expertise.
- Demonstrates proactive financial management in relation to billing, credit control and client service level agreements.
- Able to deal confidently and professionally with clients on day to day issues.
- Demonstrates commercial judgement
- Team oriented and collegiate with a willingness to work as part of a team on larger matters and to assist with development of business.
The successful candidate will have the following opportunities:
- To work with all partners in the team across the various different sectors of work;
- To work with a friendly group of lawyers from diverse backgrounds;
- To grow a specialised practice of their own over time;
- To be involved in Business Development initiatives;
- To be invited to regular training seminars and webinars and progress their legal knowledge and education;
- To join networking groups such as the YFLA, JLSLA and LSLA; and
- To continuously develop skills in a role where no two days a
About the Company
We are a leading international legal business with over 2,500 colleagues and a diverse range of capabilities. We have 11 offices in the UK as well as offices in Dublin, Madrid, Paris, Singapore, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Miami. We also have associations/alliances with firms in Malaysia, Brazil, Peru, Argentina, Central America, the USA, Australia and Germany.
We are a broad-based commercial firm with a strong heritage in insurance, health and real estate. This is complemented by a fast-growing Business Advisory capability. We represent a wide range of clients, ranging from household names to government departments and NHS bodies. We act for all of the UK’s top-ten insurers, we are market leaders in the provision of strategic, commercial and regulatory advice to providers and commissioners in the health sector, and in real estate we advise all of the UK’s top-12 housebuilders.
We have an impressive legal pedigree, with 142 Chambers UK 2021 practice area and individual lawyer rankings. In Legal 500 UK 2021, the firm received a top tier ranking for 37 of its practice areas, and 58 DACB lawyers were singled out in the ‘Leading Individual' rankings.
Our successes have been recognised by the legal industry and the markets in which we operate. These accolades include two top prizes in the ‘Excellence in Business Development’ and ‘Excellence in Technology & Innovation’ categories of the 2020 Law Society Excellence Awards – the highest accolade for law firms in England & Wales. Our health sector team won the ‘Crisis Management Team of the Year’ award at the 2020 British Legal Awards for its support to the NHS at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, and our Cyber & Data Risk team received the ‘Business Development Innovation Award’ at the 2020 Legal Innovation Awards, as well as ‘Cyber Law Firm of the Year’ at the prestigious Insurance Insider Cyber Rankings Awards, for its market-leading suite of digital tools to help our clients prepare for and respond to cyber and data risk crises.
Our vision is to be leading business advisers, recognised for our insight and our outstanding commitment to clients, and for being the place where talented people want to work. For further details on our work and our culture, please visit www.dacbeachcroft.com.
At DAC Beachcroft, we don’t just accept your differences we celebrate them. From bespoke solutions for our clients, to treating you like an individual. Our strength comes from your diverse ideas and bringing the whole you to work. So if you’re good at what you do, come as you are. We welcome direct applications and are happy to talk flexible working.
We also want you to be at your very best. Please feel free to let us know of any changes we can make at any point in the recruitment process that will help support your application. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.
Note for Recruitment Agencies – the DAC Beachcroft recruitment team is responsible for managing all current vacancies through direct hiring and referrals wherever possible. We do work with recruitment agencies and where we require external support we will formally release those vacancies to the agencies on our Preferred Supplier List deemed best placed to assist us. Speculative CVs sent by any agency to any DAC Beachcroft employee without a specific request by the recruitment team will not be accepted and with no introduction fee applicable. Our recruitment team can be contacted at email@example.com