Solicitor/Associate - Commercial Health
We are looking for a Solicitor/Associate (circa 1-4 years' PQE) to join our highly successful Public Law & Health Projects team in either our London or Bristol office. The ideal candidate will be able to assist with realisation of our business plan focusing on delivery of prompt, first class services to the public and private sector clients of the firm.
The opportunity is for an ambitious commercial health lawyer, ideally with expertise in negotiating and drafting a broad array of contractual arrangements. We are also looking for someone with experience, or at least a strong interest, in data protection with a view to advising public and independent sector clients on key information law compliance issues, particularly in light of the increasing prominence of medical technology in the health sector.
Handling own caseload, encompassing the full range of commercial health work within the team (with appropriate level of support and supervision) alongside contributing to business development initiatives.
Your workload will be primarily commercial but you will also have a strong focus on information law including Freedom of Information Act requests, Data Protection, and confidentiality issues for public and independent sector clients.
Projects that you may be involved in include
- Advising on national strategic procurements of healthcare services
- Advising on outsourcing contracts
- Advising on managed equipment services procurements
- Advising on NHS mergers and acquisitions
- Advising on regulatory due diligence projects (with a focus on data compliance)
- Advising digital health providers on commercial and regulatory issues
- Advising on commercial joint ventures
- Advising on section 75 agreements between NHS and local authority clients
- General advice on data protection matters for a range of health and social care clients
- General advice on commercial matters for a range of health and social care clients
Within these areas of law, you are likely to be involved in a number of different types of work, including:
• Drafting and negotiating commercial contracts for health and social care clients
• Advising on legality of proposed uses of personal data, as well as formulation of robust governance arrangements to support an array of data-dependent projects, such as large scale patient record sharing systems, digital health platforms and patient-facing technology
The Ideal Candidate
• Qualified solicitor or barrister with previous experience of (1 – 4 years PQE or equivalent) or solid and demonstrable interest in commercial work.
• Experience in any of information law, commercial law, charity law or procurement law is an advantage. We particularly welcome candidates with information law experience. A strong interest in the health sector and medtech is an advantage.
We are seeking the following qualities:
• Highly-motivated, sharing our commitment to providing an excellent service to our clients.
• Strong academic background coupled with the ability to formulate and present sound, coherent advice, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to think creatively and pragmatically to add value and provide risk-focused, practical advice.
• Ability to deal confidently and professionally with clients on a day to day basis and to develop relationships with individual clients;
• Ability to work effectively with colleagues, participate in team-working and develop relationships within the firm.
• Willingness to take responsibility and ownership of client work, balancing confidence in your own ability and appropriate self-sufficiency with a willingness to learn and awareness of the boundaries of your own competence/authority.
About the Company
We are a leading international legal business with over 2,400 colleagues and a diverse range of capabilities. We have 11 offices in the UK as well as offices in Dublin, Madrid, Paris, Singapore, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Miami. We also have associations/alliances with firms in Northern Ireland, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Brazil, Peru, Central America, Argentina, the USA, Australia and Germany.
We are known for our market-leading presence in sectors such as Insurance, Health and Real Estate. This is complemented by a fast-growing Business Advisory capability. We represent a wide range of clients, ranging from household names to government departments and NHS bodies. We act for the majority of the top 30 insurance and financial services companies operating in the UK. We are the asset management lawyers for the UK’s largest shopping centres and act for 9 of the UK’s top 10 housebuilders.
We have an impressive legal pedigree, with 155 Chambers UK 2019 practice area and individual lawyer rankings, including 30 rankings at 'Band 1' level. In Legal 500 UK, 2018, the firm received top tier ranking for 32 of its practice areas and 59 practice areas in the top two tiers. In March 2018, we were named as one of Legal Week's Best Legal Advisors for the third year running, achieving category-leading satisfaction scores for our commercial approach, service delivery, quality of legal advice, communication & responsiveness and overall relationships.
Our vision is to be leading business advisers, recognised for our insight and our outstanding commitment to clients, and for being the place where talented people want to work. For further details on our work and our culture, please visit www.dacbeachcroft.com.
DAC Beachcroft is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. We also welcome direct applications. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.