Solicitor- Motor Fraud
After a period of consolidation in the counter fraud market, this is an exciting time for the motor counter fraud team as it is poised for substantial growth following some significant client wins. Currently the team has 6 partners in England & Wales and 1 partner in Scotland, together with 90 fee earners, working alongside the largest intelligence team in the country. The Scottish counter fraud team also defend casualty claims where fraud is suspected and work closely with the casualty counter fraud team in England & Wales which is 16 strong.
The team has a reputation for not simply tackling the claims themselves from the litigation perspective (in this respect the main aim in a case is its repudiation), but also for tackling those organisations behind the claims e.g. claims farmers, accident management companies, lawyers, medics, engineers etc.
The Scottish counter fraud team was formed in September 2013 and acts for the largest market share of clients in tackling counter fraud. The team is led by Claire Newcombe (Partner) and now comprises 7 in total. With reforms on the horizon both North and South of the border, the number of fraudulent claims is expected to rise. We are seeking two fee earners to assist in covering maternity leave; this represents a unique and exciting opportunity to join an interesting, fast paced, forward thinking team.
The type of work includes:
- Minimal Impact Cases – Low Speed/Significant Trauma Cases
- Fabricated claims
- Phantom Passengers
- Contrived Claims
- Semi-staged / Staged Claims
- Grossly Exaggerated Claims
- Ringed and Organised Fraud claims
To handle a wide variety of pre-litigation and litigated cases where fraud is suspected. Experience of handling fraudulent claims would be advantageous but is not essential as fraud training will be provided.
The successful candidate will report into the team Supervisor and Partner as detailed above and be expected to:
- handle a varied caseload of pre-litigated but mainly litigated work covering the above types of claim with an appropriate level of supervision, across a variety of clients;
- assume responsibility for quality control and benchmark compliance on own caseload, including accuracy and timeliness of management reporting and information.
- ensure strict and ongoing adherence to benchmark standards in all work undertaken.
- act as a point of contact for clients, demonstrating a level of knowledge and skill commensurate with experience
- exercise full compliance with DAC Beachcroft protocols on billing and credit control and demonstrate a high level of financial management in respect of own files.
- achieve a minimum budgeted annual target of 1,440 chargeable hours per year
- build an awareness of the Firm's other services, marketing and business development. Build effective internal and external networks.
- maintain and develop technical knowledge through attendance at training sessions, reading appropriate publications and comply with the Law Society of Scotland CPD requirements
- complete ad hoc projects as delegated by the Team Manager/Partner.
The Ideal Candidate
The expectation is that the successful candidate will have experience of handling claims at all levels within the Scottish court system and will have a sound knowledge of Scottish legal procedure.
Technical Skills & Experience
- Qualified Solicitor with experience of litigating in the Scottish courts
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Excellent legal drafting skills
- Confident negotiating skills
- IT literate with good knowledge of Outlook, Word and Excel. Knowledge/previous experience of a case management system is also essential as are good keyboard skills
- Ability to work autonomously on high volumes of work
- An ability to adopt a commercial perspective to legal issues but is also able to see the commercial impact beyond one individual claim.
- From a fee earning perspective, the ability to work to and consistently achieve targets, an organised, measured and systematic way of working and an ability to work under pressure.
- Client focused with an ability to manage build strong relationships with client and third party contacts at all levels
- Able to work to deadlines, prioritise own workload effectively under pressure and manage conflicting priorities
- Proactive and energetic with a tenacious approach to identifying issues and solving problems
- Quality and customer service oriented with a concern for accuracy and an eye for detail
- Team oriented. A collegiate approach to sharing knowledge and working with colleagues across locations is essential
- Able to progress tasks using own initiative, seeking guidance and input from Partner/Supervisor where appropriate
- Confident oral and written communication skills
- Confident negotiator and communicator
- Flexible with a positive attitude to change, both internally and in the context of clients' business
About the Company
We are a leading international legal business with over 2,400 colleagues and a diverse range of capabilities. We have 11 offices in the UK as well as offices in Dublin, Madrid, Paris, Singapore, Chile, Northern Ireland, Colombia, Mexico and Miami. We also have associations/alliances with firms in Malaysia, Hong Kong, Brazil, Peru, Central America, Argentina, the USA, Australia and Germany.
We are known for our market-leading presence in sectors such as Insurance, Health and Real Estate. This is complemented by a fast-growing Business Advisory capability. We represent a wide range of clients, ranging from household names to government departments and NHS bodies. We act for the majority of the top 30 insurance and financial services companies operating in the UK. We are the asset management lawyers for the UK’s largest shopping centres and act for 9 of the UK’s top 10 housebuilders.
We have an impressive legal pedigree, with 155 Chambers UK 2019 practice area and individual lawyer rankings, including 30 rankings at 'Band 1' level. In Legal 500 UK, 2018, the firm received top tier ranking for 32 of its practice areas and 59 practice areas in the top two tiers. In March 2018, we were named as one of Legal Week's Best Legal Advisors for the third year running, achieving category-leading satisfaction scores for our commercial approach, service delivery, quality of legal advice, communication & responsiveness and overall relationships.
Our vision is to be leading business advisers, recognised for our insight and our outstanding commitment to clients, and for being the place where talented people want to work. For further details on our work and our culture, please visit www.dacbeachcroft.com.
DAC Beachcroft is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. We also welcome direct applications. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.