Solicitor - Employment, Manchester
DAC Beachcroft is looking to recruit a Solicitor to join our Employment team in Manchester.
We are proud to lead a team of over 2,500 people who are recognised for the quality of their insights and outstanding commitment to client service; we are dedicated to providing an environment that encourages innovative thinking and the continued development of our talented colleagues. We have just introduced our new agile working policy, “A Life That Works for everyone”. Our new Flex Forward policy allows colleagues to choose when and where they work enabling working from home on a flexible basis.
The Employment and Pensions Group at DAC Beachcroft is over 90 strong with 17 Partners and a presence in London, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle and Bristol. It’s a truly exciting time to be joining this thriving part of our business and we have an exciting opportunity in our Manchester team.
Our Manchester Employment team, led by two partners and with 8 additional fee earners, is amongst the best in the country; ranked as tier one in the Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners Guides. The Manchester team specialises in High Court injunctions, responding to HMRC investigations and minimum wage audits, as well as employee status cases. The Firm has been building a reputation in the region as a go-to practice for gig economy matters. Its blue-chip client base spans the logistics, retail and leisure sectors. Known for handling issues with an international element, it also has expertise in large reorganisations, complex Employment Tribunal claims, and TUPE matters.
We are committed to ensuring our lawyers have the best training in both technical and soft skills. We have our bespoke online training system together with weekly team knowhow sessions, monthly employment law training and a one to one file coaching system so that our lawyers are technically sound and fully supported.
Manchester is a full service office for DAC Beachcroft, comprising of 250 members of staff and boasting a close knit, supportive and rewarding culture. The office enjoys regular social activities such as a monthly staff club for shared events, regular charitable exercises to support their nominated charity and some taking part in the Manchester 10k. The office also immerses themselves in the sector, by running a Legal Clinic with University of Manchester and taking part in the Manchester Legal Walk.
DAC Beachcroft’s Northern England offices; Leeds, Manchester and Newcastle teams work closely together, with a focus on providing a seamless service to our client base across the North and nationally. Together the teams comprise of 5 Partners, and 26 lawyers, giving DAC Beachcroft a market leading powerhouse in the North of the country. All three of the Northern teams have recently won their local Law Society Legal Awards and been nominated several times.
The role is varied and the main responsibilities include:
- Undertaking a varied workload of employment matters advising employers in a variety of sectors, including retail, health, logistics and insurance work
- Actively identifying and exploiting business development opportunities and marketing activity for team clients and own contacts
- Participating in and initiating marketing / network activities in order to maintain and develop work from existing clients and potential clients
- Presenting and assisting in client and other external seminars, taking part in pitches and contributing positively to business development
- Maintaining and developing technical knowledge through leading and attending training sessions, reading appropriate publications and exceeding Law Society CPD requirements
- Providing support for colleagues where appropriate e.g. progressing matters in colleagues’ absence, supporting CRM activities
- Continually monitoring and taking responsibility for own financial performance and demonstrating proactive financial management; attention to billing regimes, credit control, debt collection, accounting procedures and client service level agreements
- Handling confidential data in line with the firm's data security protocols
The Ideal Candidate
Ideally a qualified or newly qualified solicitor from an established respondent focussed practice working with large employers, preference will be given to candidates who can demonstrate the following:
- Experience of handling tribunal claims from start to finish is desirable
- Experience of providing day to day advice to clients on all typical HR issues such as disciplinaries, grievances, sickness absence, family leave and termination discussions
- Independent thinker with a focus on generating commercial solutions to problems on behalf of clients. Up to date knowledge of key trends in order to maintain credibility in conversations with clients
- Enthusiastic team player with a flexible approach, and demonstrates role model behaviours at all times
About the Company
We are a leading international legal business with over 2,400 colleagues and a diverse range of capabilities. We have 12 offices in the UK as well as offices in Dublin, Madrid, Paris, Singapore, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Miami. We are a founding member of the Legalign Alliance which includes firms in Australia, Canada, Germany, New Zealand and the US as well as associations with firms in Argentina, Brazil, Central America, Hong Kong and Peru.
We are known for our market-leading presence in sectors such as Insurance, Health and Real Estate. This is complemented by a fast-growing Business Advisory capability. We represent a wide range of clients, ranging from household names to government departments and NHS bodies. We act for the majority of the top 30 insurance and financial services companies operating in the UK. We are the asset management lawyers for the UK’s largest shopping centres and act for 9 of the UK’s top 10 housebuilders.
We have an impressive legal pedigree, with 155 Chambers UK 2019 practice area and individual lawyer rankings, including 30 rankings at 'Band 1' level. In Legal 500 UK, 2018, the firm received top tier ranking for 32 of its practice areas and 59 practice areas in the top two tiers. In March 2018, we were named as one of Legal Week's Best Legal Advisors for the third year running, achieving category-leading satisfaction scores for our commercial approach, service delivery, quality of legal advice, communication & responsiveness and overall relationships.
Our vision is to be leading business advisers, recognised for our insight and our outstanding commitment to clients, and for being the place where talented people want to work. For further details on our work and our culture, please visit www.dacbeachcroft.com.
Our commitment to you and your application
At DAC Beachcroft, we don’t just accept your differences we celebrate them. From bespoke solutions for our clients, to treating you like an individual. Our strength comes from your diverse ideas and bringing the whole you to work. So if you’re good at what you do, come as you are. We welcome direct applications and are happy to talk flexible working.
We also want you to be at your very best. Please feel free to let us know of any changes we can make at any point in the recruitment process that will help support your application. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.
Note for Recruitment Agencies – the DAC Beachcroft recruitment team is responsible for managing all current vacancies through direct hiring and referrals wherever possible. We do work with recruitment agencies and where we require external support we will formally release those vacancies to the agencies on our Preferred Supplier List deemed best placed to assist us. Speculative CVs sent by any agency to any DAC Beachcroft employee without a specific request by the recruitment team will not be accepted and with no introduction fee applicable. Our recruitment team can be contacted at email@example.com