Solicitor - Commercial Real Estate (Manchester or Newcastle)
The DAC Beachcroft commercial real estate team comprises 65 lawyers working across all offices – London, Bristol, Manchester, Newcastle and Leeds. It forms part of a wider real estate department comprising 135 lawyers including specialists in construction, planning, residential, and a dedicated portfolio asset management practice.
This role is for a junior to work in either Manchester or Newcastle as part of Commercial Team 2.
The client portfolio provides opportunities to work on national strategic projects but also on key projects in the North - for real estate developers, owner occupiers, government departments, investors, local authorities, NHS Trusts, funds, universities and colleges, banks and finance houses. A specific focus in this team is development and property finance.
An expanding client list and increasing volumes of work mean that new team members are needed to play an essential, valued role in delivering the time-critical, high quality service expected by our clients. Working as part of dedicated client teams you will:
• Work closely with the partners and other members of the team on more complex transactions, having responsibility for key tasks as well as generally supporting the wider transaction.
• Where appropriate, act as first and primary contact for clients on a day to day basis providing them with commercially focused legal advice and running transactions (under supervision and with the support of a senior member of the team).
• Work closely to client protocols and processes.
• Comply with the required standards for file opening, conflict management, and financial management of files, billing regimes etc. as well as the specific reporting or other management requirements of individual clients.
• Handle confidential information in line with the firm's data security protocols.
• Make an appropriate contribution to non fee-earning activity e.g. knowledge sharing, training, client seminars, business development and/or client care and relationship management.
The Ideal Candidate
Successful candidates will be enthusiastic and dedicated, have a strong work ethic and be keen to seize the opportunity to progress their legal career by developing their technical skills and commercial awareness in a friendly, collaborative environment. Key skills include:
• Experience in land registry applications and SDLT submissions
• Familiarity with commissioning and reporting on conveyancing searches
• Experience in real estate: for example landlord and tenant, property finance and property acquisition and disposals
• Experience in reviewing and reporting on titles and leases
• Strong technical skills and an ability to understand and work through complex issues with assistance.
• A demonstrable ability to adopt a commercial perspective rather than an ‘academic’ approach to legal issues and to be highly client focused.
• Ability to operate with a high level of self sufficiency, combined with an awareness of the boundaries of own competence/authority.
• A team oriented and collegiate way of working.
• Some experience of and success with business development and/or client care or relationship management activities.
• Confident communicator with an ability to develop relationships internally, as well as being able to undertake client marketing and influence at all levels.
• An ability to deal confidently and professionally with clients on day to day issues, building up strong relationships.
• Strong organisation skills to ensure a pragmatic and methodical approach to handling a variety of commercial property matters simultaneously, through an IT case management system.
• A positive, flexible approach towards the implementation of new initiatives.
• An ability to handle a complex and constantly changing workload and to work under pressure.
• Attention to detail and a concern for quality.
About the Company
We are a leading international legal business with over 2,500 colleagues and a diverse range of capabilities. We have 11 offices in the UK as well as offices in Dublin, Madrid, Paris, Singapore, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Miami. We also have associations/alliances with firms in Malaysia, Brazil, Peru, Argentina, Central America, the USA, Australia and Germany.
We are a broad-based commercial firm with a strong heritage in insurance, health and real estate. This is complemented by a fast-growing Business Advisory capability. We represent a wide range of clients, ranging from household names to government departments and NHS bodies. We act for all of the UK’s top-ten insurers, we are market leaders in the provision of strategic, commercial and regulatory advice to providers and commissioners in the health sector, and in real estate we advise all of the UK’s top-12 housebuilders.
We have an impressive legal pedigree, with 142 Chambers UK 2021 practice area and individual lawyer rankings. In Legal 500 UK 2021, the firm received a top tier ranking for 37 of its practice areas, and 58 DACB lawyers were singled out in the ‘Leading Individual' rankings.
Our successes have been recognised by the legal industry and the markets in which we operate. These accolades include two top prizes in the ‘Excellence in Business Development’ and ‘Excellence in Technology & Innovation’ categories of the 2020 Law Society Excellence Awards – the highest accolade for law firms in England & Wales. Our health sector team won the ‘Crisis Management Team of the Year’ award at the 2020 British Legal Awards for its support to the NHS at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, and our Cyber & Data Risk team received the ‘Business Development Innovation Award’ at the 2020 Legal Innovation Awards, as well as ‘Cyber Law Firm of the Year’ at the prestigious Insurance Insider Cyber Rankings Awards, for its market-leading suite of digital tools to help our clients prepare for and respond to cyber and data risk crises.
Our vision is to be leading business advisers, recognised for our insight and our outstanding commitment to clients, and for being the place where talented people want to work. For further details on our work and our culture, please visit www.dacbeachcroft.com.
At DAC Beachcroft, we don’t just accept your differences we celebrate them. From bespoke solutions for our clients, to treating you like an individual. Our strength comes from your diverse ideas and bringing the whole you to work. So if you’re good at what you do, come as you are. We welcome direct applications and are happy to talk flexible working.
We also want you to be at your very best. Please feel free to let us know of any changes we can make at any point in the recruitment process that will help support your application. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.
Note for Recruitment Agencies – the DAC Beachcroft recruitment team is responsible for managing all current vacancies through direct hiring and referrals wherever possible. We do work with recruitment agencies and where we require external support we will formally release those vacancies to the agencies on our Preferred Supplier List deemed best placed to assist us. Speculative CVs sent by any agency to any DAC Beachcroft employee without a specific request by the recruitment team will not be accepted and with no introduction fee applicable. Our recruitment team can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org