Solicitor - Commercial Procurement, Leeds
DAC Beachcroft is looking to appoint a Solicitor to strengthen our Procurement team, on the back of some significant client wins and growth in work. Our Procurement team sits within our Public Law and Health Projects Cluster which has a presence in London, Leeds, Newcastle and Bristol. We have a thriving public sector client base, particularly in healthcare and Central Government and a large commercial and insurance client base. We regularly work on high profile, cutting edge procurement projects that attract media attention.
The team advises clients on non-contentious procurement processes and works alongside our team of procurement litigators on procurement challenges and Judicial Reviews involving Procurement. We also work closely with commercial, real estate, employment, healthcare regulatory and tax lawyers on a variety of matters.
The role is varied and the main responsibilities include:
- Undertaking, progressing and managing a varied workload of non-contentious procurement matters of varying complexity and scale advising contracting authorities and entities in a variety of sectors, including health, central government, local government and utilities
- Undertaking, progressing and managing a varied workload of non-contentious procurement matters of varying complexity and scale advising bidders to the public sector
- Undertaking, progressing and assisting litigation colleagues with contentious procurement challenges and Judicial Reviews featuring procurement
- Managing own matters, time and relationships and being a team player at all times
- Actively identifying and exploiting business development opportunities and marketing activity for team clients and own contacts
- Initiating and participating in marketing / network activities in order to maintain and develop work from existing clients and potential clients
- Creating content, presenting and assisting in client and other external seminars, leading and taking part in pitches and leading and contributing positively to business development
- Maintaining and developing technical knowledge through leading and attending training sessions, reading appropriate publications and exceeding Law Society CPD requirements
- Leading and contributing to technical and sector knowledge within the team and firm
- Supporting the effective running of the team e.g. contributing to team meetings, reviewing advice, reports and documents of more junior fee earners and providing guidance and feedback, assisting with the allocation of work
- Providing support for colleagues where appropriate e.g. progressing matters in colleagues’ absence, supporting CRM activities
- Continually monitoring and taking responsibility for own financial performance and demonstrating proactive financial management; attention to billing regimes, credit control, debt collection, accounting procedures and client service level agreements
- Handling confidential data in line with the firm's data security protocols
The Ideal Candidate
Ideally a Solicitor from an established procurement practice working with contracting authorities, contracting entities and bidders you will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Solid experience of advising on procurement projects from start to finish under all procedures for services, supplies and works under the Public Contracts Regulations 2015, Utilities Contracts Regulations 2016 and Concessions Contracts Regulations 2016, European Directives and applicable case law and Policy and supervising others to do the same
- Solid experience of providing day to day advice to clients on all typical procurement issues such as but not limited to types of procurement procedure, how to run a procurement process, clarification questions, variations to contracts and procurement process, drafting and reviewing tender documents, advising on evaluation and moderation, advising on structuring a procurement to be outside of the relevant procurement regime (such as but not limited to development agreements), advising on and drafting framework agreements and advising on procurement risk and likelihood of challenge
- Solid experience of contentious procurement and working alongside procurement litigators from start to finish of a procurement challenge
- Solid experience of working alongside other professional advisors and consultants as part of a project team to a client
- Solid experience of advising bidders on regulated processes and their rights in responding to and bidding for public contracts/concessions/contracts with utilities
- Independent, creative thinker with a focus on generating commercial solutions to problems on behalf of clients. Up to date knowledge of key trends in order to maintain credibility in conversations with clients
- Confident communicator with an ability to develop relationships, undertake client marketing and influence at all levels, in particular C-Suite and Heads of Procurement
- Enthusiastic team player with a flexible approach, and demonstrates role model behaviours at all times
About the Company
We are a leading international legal business with over 2,400 colleagues and a diverse range of capabilities. We have 11 offices in the UK as well as offices in Dublin, Madrid, Paris, Singapore, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Miami. We also have associations/alliances with firms in Northern Ireland, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Brazil, Peru, Central America, Argentina, the USA, Australia and Germany.
We are known for our market-leading presence in sectors such as Insurance, Health and Real Estate. This is complemented by a fast-growing Business Advisory capability. We represent a wide range of clients, ranging from household names to government departments and NHS bodies. We act for the majority of the top 30 insurance and financial services companies operating in the UK. We are the asset management lawyers for the UK’s largest shopping centres and act for 9 of the UK’s top 10 housebuilders.
We have an impressive legal pedigree, with 155 Chambers UK 2019 practice area and individual lawyer rankings, including 30 rankings at 'Band 1' level. In Legal 500 UK, 2018, the firm received top tier ranking for 32 of its practice areas and 59 practice areas in the top two tiers. In March 2018, we were named as one of Legal Week's Best Legal Advisors for the third year running, achieving category-leading satisfaction scores for our commercial approach, service delivery, quality of legal advice, communication & responsiveness and overall relationships.
Our vision is to be leading business advisers, recognised for our insight and our outstanding commitment to clients, and for being the place where talented people want to work. For further details on our work and our culture, please visit www.dacbeachcroft.com.
At DAC Beachcroft, we don’t just accept your differences we celebrate them. From bespoke solutions for our clients, to treating you like an individual. Our strength comes from your diverse ideas and bringing the whole you to work. So if you’re good at what you do, come as you are. We welcome direct applications and are happy to talk flexible working.
We also want you to be at your very best. Please feel free to let us know of any changes we can make at any point in the recruitment process that will help support your application. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.
Note for Recruitment Agencies – the DAC Beachcroft recruitment team is responsible for managing all current vacancies through direct hiring and referrals wherever possible. We do work with recruitment agencies and where we require external support we will formally release those vacancies to the agencies on our Preferred Supplier List deemed best placed to assist us. Speculative CVs sent by any agency to any DAC Beachcroft employee without a specific request by the recruitment team will not be accepted and with no introduction fee applicable. Our recruitment team can be contacted at email@example.com