Solicitor / Associate - Clinical Risk, Winchester
DAC Beachcroft LLP is the market-leading and largest defendant clinical negligence and medical malpractice team in the UK. We have been acting for the NHS since its inception in 1948 and are an original panel firm for NHS Resolution (formerly the NHS Litigation Authority), as well as being proud to call the MDU and many private healthcare providers and their insurers as clients.
We offer genuine end-to-end expertise, from incident management, insurance notifications, and TPA claims handling, through to the most complex litigation in this field, involving group and representative action. This includes some of the largest group actions involving the NHS today, taking a cutting-edged approach to managing the complexities of such litigation.
Our clinical risk team has the largest share of the NHS Resolution's portfolio in this field, representing the biggest indemnity spend by the NHS Resolution. We are on the Medical Defence Union panel as their preferred provider for medical negligence claims, including high value claims and dental claims, and we act for three of the UK's five largest providers of independent acute hospital services.
Our Tier One Winchester Clinical Risk team is looking to strengthen their team by bringing on an experienced solicitor.
- Handle a challenging caseload of defendant clinical negligence work on behalf of NHS Resolution. This will include drafting pleadings, witness statements and letters of response, conducting face to face negotiations and mediation of claims as well as preparing counter schedules
- Act as first and primary contact for clients on a day to day basis providing them with commercially focused legal advice
- Adhering closely to client protocol and process
- Provide supervision and coaching to junior fee earners
- Make an appropriate contribution to non-fee earning activity e.g. knowledge sharing, training, client seminars, and business development
- Comply with the required standards for internal procedures e.g. financial
- Management of files, billing regimes etc. as well as the specific requirements of individual clients
- Writing articles for publication both for in-house and external publications
- Handle confidential information in line with the firm's data security protocols
The Ideal Candidate
- A Solicitor with experience in defendant or claimant clinical negligence, or defendant insurance law. Ideally you will have a number of years’ experience, however we are happy to consider applications at all levels
- Experience gained within an NHS Resolution panel firm would be preferable (but not essential) as would an understanding of the NHS and their business drivers, including knowledge of and ability to deliver against client protocols and KPIs
- Strong technical skills and an ability to understand and work through complex issues
- A demonstrable ability to adopt a commercial perspective rather than an ‘academic’ approach to legal issues and to be highly client focused
- Ability to operate with a high level of self-sufficiency, combined with an awareness of the boundaries of own competence/authority
- Team oriented and collegiate with an experience of and a willingness to mentor, coach and supervise less experienced members of teams
- Exposure to and success within business development activities
- Confident communicator with an ability to develop relationships, undertake client marketing and influence at all levels. Ability to deal confidently and professionally with clients on day to day issues, building up strong relationships
- Strong organisation skills to ensure a pragmatic and methodical approach to handling a variety of clinical negligence claims simultaneously, through an IT case management system
- Change oriented with a positive, flexible approach towards the implementation of new initiatives
- Able to handle a complex and constantly changing workload and to work under pressure
- Detail conscious with a concern for quality
About the Company
We are a leading international legal business with over 2,400 colleagues and a diverse range of capabilities. We have 12 offices in the UK as well as offices in Dublin, Madrid, Paris, Singapore, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Miami. We are a founding member of the Legalign Alliance which includes firms in Australia, Canada, Germany, New Zealand and the US as well as associations with firms in Argentina, Brazil, Central America, Hong Kong and Peru.
We are known for our market-leading presence in sectors such as Insurance, Health and Real Estate. This is complemented by a fast-growing Business Advisory capability. We represent a wide range of clients, ranging from household names to government departments and NHS bodies. We act for the majority of the top 30 insurance and financial services companies operating in the UK. We are the asset management lawyers for the UK’s largest shopping centres and act for 9 of the UK’s top 10 housebuilders.
We have an impressive legal pedigree, with 155 Chambers UK 2019 practice area and individual lawyer rankings, including 30 rankings at 'Band 1' level. In Legal 500 UK, 2018, the firm received top tier ranking for 32 of its practice areas and 59 practice areas in the top two tiers. In March 2018, we were named as one of Legal Week's Best Legal Advisors for the third year running, achieving category-leading satisfaction scores for our commercial approach, service delivery, quality of legal advice, communication & responsiveness and overall relationships.
Our vision is to be leading business advisers, recognised for our insight and our outstanding commitment to clients, and for being the place where talented people want to work. For further details on our work and our culture, please visit www.dacbeachcroft.com.
At DAC Beachcroft, we don’t just accept your differences we celebrate them. From bespoke solutions for our clients, to treating you like an individual. Our strength comes from your diverse ideas and bringing the whole you to work. So if you’re good at what you do, come as you are. We welcome direct applications and are happy to talk flexible working.
We also want you to be at your very best. Please feel free to let us know of any changes we can make at any point in the recruitment process that will help support your application. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.
Note for Recruitment Agencies – the DAC Beachcroft recruitment team is responsible for managing all current vacancies through direct hiring and referrals wherever possible. We do work with recruitment agencies and where we require external support we will formally release those vacancies to the agencies on our Preferred Supplier List deemed best placed to assist us. Speculative CVs sent by any agency to any DAC Beachcroft employee without a specific request by the recruitment team will not be accepted and with no introduction fee applicable. Our recruitment team can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org