Paralegal - Vehicle Hire & Damage - Newport
We have several Paralegal Roles available within our Vehicle Hire and Damage team currently, which range in level so we are looking for candidates of varying experience.
This includes candidates who may have a customer experience background rather than legal and those who may not have experience of vehicle hire and damage claims or litigation generally.
Equally, we are keen to hear from candidates who have experience in either vehicle hire and damage claims, RTA claims and/or litigation generally as we have some more senior roles available as well.
The roles are based from our Newport office however we are happy to consider candidates working remotely as the team is now largely working from home or in hybrid home and office based working.
Our vehicle hire and damage team works with over 40 insurance companies and self-insured corporates. The team deals with all aspects of defendant credit hire dispute resolution, providing an end to end solution. The team also provides pre-emptive advice on these issues whilst also assisting clients formulate their own strategies. This is a great opportunity for an experienced paralegal to develop their career.
The team deals with claims from small track to multi track including fraudulent claims. Our team will also deal with liability, indemnity and associated losses including personal injury, credit repair and diminution.
The team has a progressive approach and a market leading reputation for not simply tackling the claims themselves from a litigation perspective, but also for tracking and analysing behaviours and trends with a view to providing insurers with bespoke strategies and changing market behaviours.
Why join our vehicle hire and damage team?
Given the size of the team and number of clients we work with there is a real opportunity for growth and development. Progression can either be by technical development, building client relationships and/or progression to supervisor or managerial role.
We also actively encourage and support professional funding for further qualification such as Cilex or to qualify as a solicitor.
Our teams are very busy and work hard, but we offer genuine flexibility from when and where you work to allow you to meet your personal and work commitments – and that flexibility hasn't disappeared post-Covid!
To provide a timely, professional and high-quality service to clients in the management of volume litigated vehicle hire and damage cases.
After the required level of training and support our teams are expected to:
- Be responsible for a varied caseload of pre-litigated or litigated work (depending on experience) with an appropriate level of supervision, in strict adherence to the Service Level Agreement(s) entered into with the insurer client.
- Be responsible for managing all financial aspects of their caseload, to include billing in strict adherence to the Service Level Agreement(s) entered into with the insurer client, managing WIP, debt and resolving general accounting queries.
- Act as a point of contact for clients, demonstrating a level of knowledge and skill commensurate with experience.
- To record timely and accurate management information.
- Support marketing and business development activity within the team (e.g. attending marketing events, client training, clinics and shadowing days).
- Maintain an awareness of the firm's strategies and plans.
- Maintain and develop technical knowledge through attendance at training sessions and reading appropriate publications.
- You will be required to handle confidential information in line with the firm's data security protocols.
- Day to day responsibilities will include but is not limited to the following:
- Analysis of evidence and setting case strategies encompassing both technical and commercial considerations
- Obtaining and drafting pleadings, witness statements and letters of response
- Conducting (telephone) negotiation of claims
The Ideal Candidate
A successful candidate must have:
- IT skills - Be IT literate with a good working knowledge of Excel and Word.
- Prioritisation & Organisation skills – The ability to organise their own time, recognise what's a time pressure, what's important and when to ask for help.
- Analytical skills – The ability to critically look at factual evidence, identify what is not right/out of the ordinary.
- Commercial sense – The ability to know the principle or law but also know when is it worth pursuing it.
- Interpersonal skills – The ability to get on with a team, speak to a customer on the phone and meet a client.
- Resilience – The ability to stand their ground in a telephone negotiation and to receive feedback.
- Aptitude to learn – The ability to retain knowledge and put into play new skills.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
All relevant experience in similar roles or areas of practice is desirable but not essential and we are happy to hear from candidates who feel they would be a good fit.
For more senior roles, a successful candidate must have:
- Experience of dealing with litigated claims, either in Credit Hire or some other similar area such as personal injury alternatively experience in handling credit hire claims even if not in a litigated background.
- A Defendant background/experience is not essential.
- The technical ability to appropriately advise insurer clients as to all issues associated with volume motor clams, including liability, multiple party claims, indemnity and issues of quantum.
About the Company
We are a leading international legal business with over 2,500 colleagues and a diverse range of capabilities. We have 11 offices in the UK as well as offices in Dublin, Madrid, Paris, Singapore, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Miami. We also have associations/alliances with firms in Malaysia, Brazil, Peru, Argentina, Central America, the USA, Australia and Germany.
We are a broad-based commercial firm with a strong heritage in insurance, health and real estate. This is complemented by a fast-growing Business Advisory capability. We represent a wide range of clients, ranging from household names to government departments and NHS bodies. We act for all of the UK’s top-ten insurers, we are market leaders in the provision of strategic, commercial and regulatory advice to providers and commissioners in the health sector, and in real estate we advise all of the UK’s top-12 housebuilders.
We have an impressive legal pedigree, with 142 Chambers UK 2021 practice area and individual lawyer rankings. In Legal 500 UK 2021, the firm received a top tier ranking for 37 of its practice areas, and 58 DACB lawyers were singled out in the ‘Leading Individual' rankings.
Our successes have been recognised by the legal industry and the markets in which we operate. These accolades include two top prizes in the ‘Excellence in Business Development’ and ‘Excellence in Technology & Innovation’ categories of the 2020 Law Society Excellence Awards – the highest accolade for law firms in England & Wales. Our health sector team won the ‘Crisis Management Team of the Year’ award at the 2020 British Legal Awards for its support to the NHS at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, and our Cyber & Data Risk team received the ‘Business Development Innovation Award’ at the 2020 Legal Innovation Awards, as well as ‘Cyber Law Firm of the Year’ at the prestigious Insurance Insider Cyber Rankings Awards, for its market-leading suite of digital tools to help our clients prepare for and respond to cyber and data risk crises.
Our vision is to be leading business advisers, recognised for our insight and our outstanding commitment to clients, and for being the place where talented people want to work. For further details on our work and our culture, please visit www.dacbeachcroft.com.
At DAC Beachcroft, we don’t just accept your differences we celebrate them. From bespoke solutions for our clients, to treating you like an individual. Our strength comes from your diverse ideas and bringing the whole you to work. So if you’re good at what you do, come as you are. We welcome direct applications and are happy to talk flexible working.
We also want you to be at your very best. Please feel free to let us know of any changes we can make at any point in the recruitment process that will help support your application. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.
Note for Recruitment Agencies – the DAC Beachcroft recruitment team is responsible for managing all current vacancies through direct hiring and referrals wherever possible. We do work with recruitment agencies and where we require external support we will formally release those vacancies to the agencies on our Preferred Supplier List deemed best placed to assist us. Speculative CVs sent by any agency to any DAC Beachcroft employee without a specific request by the recruitment team will not be accepted and with no introduction fee applicable. Our recruitment team can be contacted at email@example.com