Paralegal - Vehicle Hire & Damage - Glasgow
Working within the Glasgow Vehicle Hire team, your case load will be RTA claims dealing with litigated liability disputes, credit hire and damage claims. Experience of dealing with Scottish civil litigation claims at Simple Procedure and Ordinary Cause level is essential.
Ideally the role is a full time position however part time applicants will be considered and flexible/agile working is available following successful completion of probationary period. The role has the potential to transfer into a training contract for the right applicant.
As well as offering high levels of flexibility and a great work life balance, we offer a well-rounded remuneration package (which includes private medical insurance, income protection insurance and discounted gym membership, amongst many other benefits) alongside real opportunities for growth and progression. We actively encourage colleagues to make use of our professional funding scheme to complete legal or business qualifications relevant to your role.
At DAC Beachcroft our Flex Forward policy means that we have relaxed core hours and colleagues are able to flex their hours across the day and week. For more information please review the following link - https://jobs.dacbeachcroft.com/whats-in-it-for-you/
There are regular in person and remote social events organised for colleagues at DAC Beachcroft , not to mention the opportunity to get involved in a range of Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) activities, including volunteering or becoming an ally for one of our inclusion and diversity or business network groups.
We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, which aligns closely to our cultural principles (Determined, Clear, Creative and Supportive). If you are excited about this role and being part of our culture, but your past experience does not align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles!
Reporting to the Team Manager, the candidate will be :
- Working in a small team with a team manager, Solicitor and three Paralegals. The Team Manager will be responsible for supervision.
- Working for a wide variety household name insurer clients and their Insureds.
- Handling a workload in accordance with client protocols (SLA), acting as a point of contact for clients, demonstrating a level of knowledge and skill commensurate with experience
Day to day responsibilities will include but is not limited to the following:
- Analysis of evidence and setting case strategies encompassing both technical and commercial considerations
- Obtaining and drafting pleadings, witness statements, conducting (telephone) negotiation of claims
- Sound file management – to include consistent and accurate: billing; management of WIP and file closures; updating Management Information and KPI compliance.
- Exercising full compliance with DAC Beachcroft protocols on billing and credit control and demonstrating a high level of financial management in respect of own files.
- Effectively time record and aim to achieve and meet a budgeted annual target in respect of chargeable hours per year.
- Supporting marketing and business development activity within the team (e.g. attending marketing events and client training), where appropriate.
- Building an awareness of DAC Beachcroft's other services.
- Building effective internal and external networks.
- Maintaining an awareness of the firm's strategies and plans.
Handling confidential information in line with the firm's data security protocols.
The Ideal Candidate
- Fee earner with a demonstrable interest and previous experience in the volume litigated credit area, including knowledge of the Court rules and procedures in both Simple Procedure and Ordinary Cause actions
- Preferably have a paralegal qualification or degree in Law (LLB or equivalent).
- Experience in drafting court pleadings.
- A Defender background / experience is preferable but not essential.
- Excellent relationship, client handling, and communication skills.
- Able to deal confidently and professionally with clients on day to day issues.
- Able to demonstrate self-sufficiency, combined with an awareness of the boundaries of own competence/authority; simply an ability to adopt a commercial perspective rather than an ‘academic’ approach to legal issues.
- Change oriented with a positive, flexible approach towards the implementation of new initiatives
- Team oriented and collegiate with a willingness to share knowledge with and support other members of the team
About the Company
We are a leading international legal business with over 2,500 colleagues and a diverse range of capabilities. We have 11 offices in the UK as well as offices in Dublin, Madrid, Paris, Singapore, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Miami. We also have associations/alliances with firms in Malaysia, Brazil, Peru, Argentina, Central America, the USA, Australia and Germany.
We are a broad-based commercial firm with a strong heritage in insurance, health and real estate. This is complemented by a fast-growing Business Advisory capability. We represent a wide range of clients, ranging from household names to government departments and NHS bodies. We act for all of the UK’s top-ten insurers, we are market leaders in the provision of strategic, commercial and regulatory advice to providers and commissioners in the health sector, and in real estate we advise all of the UK’s top-12 housebuilders.
We have an impressive legal pedigree, with 142 Chambers UK 2021 practice area and individual lawyer rankings. In Legal 500 UK 2021, the firm received a top tier ranking for 37 of its practice areas, and 58 DACB lawyers were singled out in the ‘Leading Individual' rankings.
Our successes have been recognised by the legal industry and the markets in which we operate. These accolades include two top prizes in the ‘Excellence in Business Development’ and ‘Excellence in Technology & Innovation’ categories of the 2020 Law Society Excellence Awards – the highest accolade for law firms in England & Wales. Our health sector team won the ‘Crisis Management Team of the Year’ award at the 2020 British Legal Awards for its support to the NHS at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, and our Cyber & Data Risk team received the ‘Business Development Innovation Award’ at the 2020 Legal Innovation Awards, as well as ‘Cyber Law Firm of the Year’ at the prestigious Insurance Insider Cyber Rankings Awards, for its market-leading suite of digital tools to help our clients prepare for and respond to cyber and data risk crises.
Our vision is to be leading business advisers, recognised for our insight and our outstanding commitment to clients, and for being the place where talented people want to work. For further details on our work and our culture, please visit www.dacbeachcroft.com.
At DAC Beachcroft, we don’t just accept your differences we celebrate them. From bespoke solutions for our clients, to treating you like an individual. Our strength comes from your diverse ideas and bringing the whole you to work. So if you’re good at what you do, come as you are. We welcome direct applications and are happy to talk flexible working.
We also want you to be at your very best. Please feel free to let us know of any changes we can make at any point in the recruitment process that will help support your application. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.
Note for Recruitment Agencies – the DAC Beachcroft recruitment team is responsible for managing all current vacancies through direct hiring and referrals wherever possible. We do work with recruitment agencies and where we require external support we will formally release those vacancies to the agencies on our Preferred Supplier List deemed best placed to assist us. Speculative CVs sent by any agency to any DAC Beachcroft employee without a specific request by the recruitment team will not be accepted and with no introduction fee applicable. Our recruitment team can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org