Paralegal - Property
The Claims Solutions Group Property team in Bristol provides advice and claims management to the insurance industry. We are now accepting applications from paralegals looking to establish an exciting career within a supportive team and ambitious firm.
- The overall purpose of this role is to provide a timely, professional and high-quality service to a client in the management of litigated and non-litigated property recovery cases.
- Manage a varied property recovery caseload under supervision. This will include developing a knowledge of legal issues in respect of a variety of peril based recoveries as well as building an understanding of liability issues
- Hit, maintain and apply a consistent approach to all individual targets of financial performance, realisation rates, settlement rate and average claim spend
- Assess liability and quantum and establish a strategy for each case
- Accessing and utilising direct access to client computer systems as well as those of other supply chain companies
- Resolve claims through negotiation and/or litigation where necessary and within client service standards
- Draft and issue court claim forms and particulars and handle Small Claims litigated cases through to trial or earlier settlement, under supervision. Handle fast and multi track cases through to point of litigation referral
- Ensure court directions are complied with at all times
- Maintain ongoing contact with the client throughout the litigation process by regular reporting and/or updating of management information
- Instruct experts and external counsel where appropriate
- Play a key role in developing and maintaining client relationships
- Ensure that the client’s brand and methodology are promoted effectively in all dealings with third parties
- Ensure that case management system and hard copy files are updated with diary dates as required by the case
- Assume responsibility for quality control and client protocol compliance on own caseload, including accuracy and timeliness of record keeping, file management and management reporting and information
- Ensure that the DAC Beachcroft brand and standards are maintained in managing the outputs of other panel firms
The Ideal Candidate
- Previous experience of working as a paralegal or insurance claims handler within the field of property recovery is desirable
- Experience of court processes would be an advantage.
- Previous experience of working within an insurance environment is desirable.
- IT literate with working knowledge of Word and Excel. Knowledge/previous experience of case management systems would be an advantage but training will be provided. Good keyboard skills are also essential
- Client focused with an ability to build strong relationships with client and third party contacts at all levels
- Able to work to deadlines, prioritise own workload effectively under pressure and manage conflicting priorities
- Proactive with a tenacious approach to identifying issues and solving problems
- Quality and customer service oriented with a concern for accuracy and an eye for detail
- Team oriented. A collegiate approach to sharing knowledge and working with colleagues across locations is essential
- Committed and enthusiastic with a professional attitude to work and a desire to commit long term to a career in this field
- Confident oral and written communication skills
About the Company
We are a leading international legal business with over 2,400 colleagues and a diverse range of capabilities. We have 11 offices in the UK as well as offices in Dublin, Madrid, Paris, Singapore, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Miami. We also have associations/alliances with firms in Northern Ireland, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Brazil, Peru, Central America, Argentina, the USA, Australia and Germany.
We are known for our market-leading presence in sectors such as Insurance, Health and Real Estate. This is complemented by a fast-growing Business Advisory capability. We represent a wide range of clients, ranging from household names to government departments and NHS bodies. We act for the majority of the top 30 insurance and financial services companies operating in the UK. We are the asset management lawyers for the UK’s largest shopping centres and act for 9 of the UK’s top 10 housebuilders.
We have an impressive legal pedigree, with 155 Chambers UK 2019 practice area and individual lawyer rankings, including 30 rankings at 'Band 1' level. In Legal 500 UK, 2018, the firm received top tier ranking for 32 of its practice areas and 59 practice areas in the top two tiers. In March 2018, we were named as one of Legal Week's Best Legal Advisors for the third year running, achieving category-leading satisfaction scores for our commercial approach, service delivery, quality of legal advice, communication & responsiveness and overall relationships.
Our vision is to be leading business advisers, recognised for our insight and our outstanding commitment to clients, and for being the place where talented people want to work. For further details on our work and our culture, please visit www.dacbeachcroft.com.
DAC Beachcroft is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. We also welcome direct applications. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.