Paralegal - Complex Injury - Leeds/ Nationwide
The Claims Solutions team advises insurers and corporate clients in their defence of claims of all values, types and complexity. Our National team whose clients are a mix of leading names in the insurance industry as well as household name corporates, deal with all aspects of defendant litigation, including complex and catastrophic injury. Increasingly, the team is getting involved in pre-emptive advice on these issues as well as dispute resolution.
The complex injury team in Leeds (which is part of the Claims Solution Group) works on behalf of insurance companies, investigating and resolving high value personal injury compensation claims
What’s in it for you?
As well as offering high levels of flexibility and a great work life balance, we offer a well-rounded remuneration package (which includes private medical insurance, income protection insurance and discounted gym membership, amongst many other benefits) alongside real opportunities for growth and progression. We actively encourage colleagues to make use of our professional funding scheme to complete legal or business qualifications relevant to your role.
At DAC Beachcroft our Flex Forward policy means that we have relaxed core hours and colleagues are able to flex their hours across the day and week. For more information please review the following link - https://jobs.dacbeachcroft.com/whats-in-it-for-you/
There are regular in person and remote social events organised for colleagues at DAC Beachcroft , not to mention the opportunity to get involved in a range of Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) activities, including volunteering or becoming an ally for one of our inclusion and diversity or business network groups.
We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, which aligns closely to our cultural principles (Determined, Clear, Creative and Supportive). If you are excited about this role and being part of our culture, but your past experience does not align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles!
What you will do
To provide assistance to a principal lawyer in running complex and catastrophic injury files of a high value and importance to our clients.
- Complying with internal and external service level agreements.
- Handling confidential information in line with the firm's data security protocols.
- Ensuring appropriate key dates reminders are in place on all matters.
- Ensuring that a timetable exists to enable the progression of the case to resolution.
- Prompting the principal lawyer to action matters diarised.
- Maintaining internal and external case management documents.
- Recording timely and accurate management information.
- Maintaining an awareness of the firm's strategies and plans.
- Developing technical knowledge through completing online courses, attending training sessions and reading appropriate publications.
- Acting as a point of contact for clients.
- Handling routine correspondence and communications with the client, third parties and claimants’ solicitors to ensure the progression of the case to resolution.
- Assuming responsibility for agreed tasks on a claim including assisting with investigations, instructing experts, handling disclosure and instructing counsel.
- Meeting individual financial targets.
- Assisting / completing MI where appropriate
- Liaising with accounts on billing queries
Who you are
Reporting to the principal lawyer and team partner, the ideal candidate will have:
- A keen interest in working on complex and catastrophic injury claims.
- At least 2 years’ experience of dealing with litigated bodily injury claims
- Good commercial awareness with an ability to provide commercially rounded advice to clients and view matters from a business perspective.
- A flexible attitude with an ability to adapt to rapid change, both internally and in the context of clients' businesses.
- The ability to work as a team player with a collegiate approach to knowledge sharing and problem solving, both internally and with the clients.
- Whilst previous experience of dealing with complex and catastrophic injury files would be helpful, it is not essential - we are looking for the right person and will provide training.
- Experience of working in a target driven commercial environment would also be an advantage
- Experience within a defendant background would be advantageous
- Demonstrates alignment with the Firm’s Cultural Principles (Clear, Creative, Determined and Supportive).
About DAC Beachcroft
We are a leading international legal business with over 2,900 colleagues and a diverse range of capabilities. We have 11 offices in the UK as well as offices in Dublin, Madrid, Paris, Milan, Rome, Singapore, Argentina Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Miami. We also have associations/alliances with firms in Malaysia, Brazil, Peru, Central America, the USA, Australia and Germany.
We are a broad-based commercial firm with a strong heritage in insurance, health and real estate. This is complemented by a fast-growing Business Advisory capability. We represent a wide range of clients, from household names to government departments and NHS bodies. We act for the UK’s top-ten insurers, we are market leaders in the provision of strategic, commercial and regulatory advice to providers and commissioners in the health sector, and in real estate we advise the UK’s top-12 housebuilders.
We have an impressive legal pedigree, with 141 practice area rankings across Chambers UK 2023 and The Legal 500 2023 and over 230 individual lawyers ranked in the two guides.
Our successes have been recognised by the legal industry and the markets in which we operate. Our most recent accolades include being named the top winner at the 2022 Legal Innovation Awards with two awards, bringing home two National Insurance Awards in 2023 for ‘Insurance Law’ and ‘Innovative Product’, winning ‘Legal Adviser of the Year – Public’ at both the 2021 and 2022 HealthInvestor Awards and ‘Legal Adviser of the Year – Private’ at the 2021 awards, and being named ‘Arbitration Team of the Year’ at the 2022 British Legal Awards. Regionally in the UK, we were named ‘Law Firm of the Year – Large’ in the 2022 Yorkshire Legal Awards and ‘Innovators of the Year’ at the 2022 Bristol Law Society Awards.
Our vision is to be leading business advisers, recognised for our insight and our outstanding commitment to clients, and for being the place where talented people want to work. For further details on our work and our culture, please visit www.dacbeachcroft.com.
What you need to know about applying
At DAC Beachcroft, we don’t just accept your differences we celebrate them. From bespoke solutions for our clients, to treating you like an individual. Our strength comes from your diverse ideas and bringing the whole you to work. So if you’re good at what you do, come as you are. We welcome direct applications and are happy to talk flexible working.
We also want you to be at your very best. Please feel free to let us know of any changes we can make at any point in the recruitment process that will help support your application. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.
Note for Recruitment Agencies – the DAC Beachcroft recruitment team is responsible for managing all current vacancies through direct hiring and referrals wherever possible. We do work with recruitment agencies and where we require external support we will formally release those vacancies to the agencies on our Preferred Supplier List deemed best placed to assist us. Speculative CVs sent by any agency to any DAC Beachcroft employee without a specific request by the recruitment team will not be accepted and with no introduction fee applicable. Our recruitment team can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org