LLP - Associate (3+ PQE) - Charity Law - Bristol
DACB is growing its charities practice! We are seeking a dynamic and commercial solicitor to add to the team.
We are particularly known for advising charities and other not-for-profits in the health and social care and education sectors, and DACB is widely recognised as the leading strategic, commercial and regulatory legal advisor to the health and social care sector in the UK and internationally. However the team has a broad client base which represents the diverse nature of the charities and not-for-profit sector. We act for household names and are noted for combining a commercial outlook with a genuine understanding of the particular drivers of our charity clients.
The firm was named ‘Legal Advisor of the Year’ in both the public and the independent healthcare categories at the Health Investor Awards 2021, which recognise the firms that have delivered the most outstanding and innovative support to the sector.
We aim to encourage diversity by offering the opportunity to bring your whole self to work, underpinned by our employer brand of A Life That Works. Our team are very busy and work hard, but we offer genuine flexibility to allow you to meet your personal and work. All across our team, from our emerging talent to our senior leadership, you won’t find a closed door, real or virtual. Read on for more information about our specific vacancy and the firm as a whole.
You will be expected to handle your own caseload and support other lawyers in the team on larger projects, encompassing the full range of charity law and governance issues (with appropriate level of support and supervision) alongside contributing to business development initiatives.
Work that you may be involved in includes:
- Advising charity trustees on their duties and responsibilities
- Advising on charity start-ups and registrations (including the appropriate structure for a new charity)
- Advising on constitutional reviews and ensuring that charity clients are operating with a modern and appropriate legal structure and governing instrument, including making applications to the Commission for consent to regulated amendments and other issues related to restructuring requiring the Commission’s consent
- Advising on all types of governance issues, including conflicts of interest, disputes and undertaking governance reviews
- Advising on strategic issues for charities, including commercial issues they face, domestic and international growth and relationships with non charitable entities
- Advising on charity transactions including mergers between charities and other types of acquisition and disposal
- Supporting other areas of the firm on charity related issues, including where they arise in relation to critical incidents, property disposals, banking, insolvency and employment relationships
- Advising on the serious incident reporting regime and drafting appropriate reports to the Charity Commission
- Advising on issues related to non-primary purpose trading and the use of trading subsidiaries and relationships between charities and their subsidiaries
- Assisting with all business development activities and tender preparation
The Ideal Candidate
- UK Qualified solicitor with a demonstrable interest or previous experience in this practice area or related practice area
- Excellent relationship and client handling skills. Able to deal confidently and professionally with clients on day to day issues. Able to demonstrate a reasonable level of self-sufficiency, combined with an awareness of the boundaries of own competence/authority.
- Someone who is keen to help grow the team and develop the practice with new ideas
- Enjoys a role where every working day is different and you are able to take on varied types of work
- In-House Charity experience can be considered
- Bristol based however we can be flexible on location
About the Company
We are a leading international legal business with over 2,900 colleagues and a diverse range of capabilities. We have 11 offices in the UK as well as offices in Dublin, Madrid, Paris, Milan, Rome, Singapore, Argentina Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Miami. We also have associations/alliances with firms in Malaysia, Brazil, Peru, Central America, the USA, Australia and Germany.
We are a broad-based commercial firm with a strong heritage in insurance, health and real estate. This is complemented by a fast-growing Business Advisory capability. We represent a wide range of clients, ranging from household names to government departments and NHS bodies. We act for all of the UK’s top-ten insurers, we are market leaders in the provision of strategic, commercial and regulatory advice to providers and commissioners in the health sector, and in real estate we advise all of the UK’s top-12 housebuilders.
We have an impressive legal pedigree, with 142 Chambers UK 2021 practice area and individual lawyer rankings. In Legal 500 UK 2021, the firm received a top tier ranking for 37 of its practice areas, and 58 DACB lawyers were singled out in the ‘Leading Individual' rankings.
Our successes have been recognised by the legal industry and the markets in which we operate. These accolades include two top prizes in the ‘Excellence in Business Development’ and ‘Excellence in Technology & Innovation’ categories of the 2020 Law Society Excellence Awards – the highest accolade for law firms in England & Wales. Our health sector team won the ‘Crisis Management Team of the Year’ award at the 2020 British Legal Awards for its support to the NHS at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, and our Cyber & Data Risk team received the ‘Business Development Innovation Award’ at the 2020 Legal Innovation Awards, as well as ‘Cyber Law Firm of the Year’ at the prestigious Insurance Insider Cyber Rankings Awards, for its market-leading suite of digital tools to help our clients prepare for and respond to cyber and data risk crises.
Our vision is to be leading business advisers, recognised for our insight and our outstanding commitment to clients, and for being the place where talented people want to work. For further details on our work and our culture, please visit www.dacbeachcroft.com.
At DAC Beachcroft, we don’t just accept your differences we celebrate them. From bespoke solutions for our clients, to treating you like an individual. Our strength comes from your diverse ideas and bringing the whole you to work. So if you’re good at what you do, come as you are. We welcome direct applications and are happy to talk flexible working.
We also want you to be at your very best. Please feel free to let us know of any changes we can make at any point in the recruitment process that will help support your application. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.
Note for Recruitment Agencies – the DAC Beachcroft recruitment team is responsible for managing all current vacancies through direct hiring and referrals wherever possible. We do work with recruitment agencies and where we require external support we will formally release those vacancies to the agencies on our Preferred Supplier List deemed best placed to assist us. Speculative CVs sent by any agency to any DAC Beachcroft employee without a specific request by the recruitment team will not be accepted and with no introduction fee applicable. Our recruitment team can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org