Financial Services - Senior Associate - London
Our financial services practice delivers market leading regulatory advice to a wide range of firms. As a result of the continued growth of our practice, we have identified a requirement for a new senior team member to help meet client demand.
The successful applicant will have a solid background in providing advice and practical guidance on non-contentious regulatory issues and be looking to take the next step in career development working alongside Mathew Rutter, Angela Hayes and the team.
So, why should you be excited about a career with us? We empower our team to develop their own client contacts and relationships from the start of their careers; you will see how your contribution directly impacts on your clients and understand how the service you provide helps them. And we provide support and training to help keep on top of the ever-changing regulatory landscape and to enable you to advise on a wide range of regulatory issues.
Our team covers a wide range of financial services regulation, with a particular focus on retail financial services. We advise insurers, insurance brokers, banks and other lenders, wealth managers and financial adviser networks, payment services firms and e-money issuers. Our clients include international firms and investors who require advice on whether and how the UK regulatory regime will apply to them.
Our wider financial services practice covers regulatory investigations and enforcement, FOS disputes, governance issues, and employment law in the context of financial institutions.
We have the backing of an international firm with over 2,500 colleagues across 9 countries and with a myriad of international associations further bolstering our capabilities.
We aim to encourage diversity by offering the opportunity to bring your whole self to work, underpinned by our employer brand of A Life That Works. Our team are very busy and work hard, but we offer genuine flexibility to allow you to meet your personal and work commitments – and have done since long before the Covid pandemic. All across our team, from our emerging talent to our senior leadership, you won’t find a closed door, real or virtual. Read on for more information about our specific vacancy and the firm as a whole.
The workload is expected to consist of the following:
- Providing advice on discrete regulatory questions on the application of FSMA, the PRA Rulebook, the FCA Handbook, the Payment Services Regulations, the E-money Regulations, and the UK AML / CFT regime
- Advising on the regulatory perimeter and the application of relevant exclusions and exemptions
- Monitoring and assessing forthcoming regulatory initiatives and identifying challenges and opportunities for clients
- Providing support on corporate transactions in the regulated sector, including share sales, asset transfers and Part VII transfers
- Support in the context of regulatory investigations and enforcement actions
We would also expect the successful candidate to:
- Work flexibly with clients, who are likely to be in-house lawyers.
- Develop an early awareness of the relationship with and position of client contacts.
- Assist, where required, with the relationship management of existing clients of the business.
- Be a team player and enjoy working as part of a wider team.
- Support marketing and business development activity within the team e.g. article and newsletter authorship, attending marketing events and client training.
- Work with other practice groups to identify mutual business opportunities.
- Build effective internal and external networks.
The Ideal Candidate
- A solicitor with 5+ years’ post qualification experience gained within a national or international law firm with significant financial services regulatory experience. In-house experience and/or experience working for a financial regulator will equally be considered
- Solid technical ability
- Experience of M&A transactional work and of Lloyd’s would be an advantage
- Desire to help maintain existing and grow new client relationships
- Able to demonstrate a reasonable level of self-sufficiency and initiative, combined with an awareness of the boundaries of own competence/authority.
- An ability to present complex information in a straightforward, commercial way rather than an academic approach.
We are flexible on location.
About the Company
We are a leading international legal business with over 2,500 colleagues and a diverse range of capabilities. We have 11 offices in the UK as well as offices in Dublin, Madrid, Paris, Singapore, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Miami. We also have associations/alliances with firms in Malaysia, Brazil, Peru, Argentina, Central America, the USA, Australia and Germany.
We are a broad-based commercial firm with a strong heritage in insurance, health and real estate. This is complemented by a fast-growing Business Advisory capability. We represent a wide range of clients, ranging from household names to government departments and NHS bodies. We act for all of the UK’s top-ten insurers, we are market leaders in the provision of strategic, commercial and regulatory advice to providers and commissioners in the health sector, and in real estate we advise all of the UK’s top-12 housebuilders.
We have an impressive legal pedigree, with 142 Chambers UK 2021 practice area and individual lawyer rankings. In Legal 500 UK 2021, the firm received a top tier ranking for 37 of its practice areas, and 58 DACB lawyers were singled out in the ‘Leading Individual' rankings.
Our successes have been recognised by the legal industry and the markets in which we operate. These accolades include two top prizes in the ‘Excellence in Business Development’ and ‘Excellence in Technology & Innovation’ categories of the 2020 Law Society Excellence Awards – the highest accolade for law firms in England & Wales. Our health sector team won the ‘Crisis Management Team of the Year’ award at the 2020 British Legal Awards for its support to the NHS at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, and our Cyber & Data Risk team received the ‘Business Development Innovation Award’ at the 2020 Legal Innovation Awards, as well as ‘Cyber Law Firm of the Year’ at the prestigious Insurance Insider Cyber Rankings Awards, for its market-leading suite of digital tools to help our clients prepare for and respond to cyber and data risk crises.
Our vision is to be leading business advisers, recognised for our insight and our outstanding commitment to clients, and for being the place where talented people want to work. For further details on our work and our culture, please visit www.dacbeachcroft.com.
At DAC Beachcroft, we don’t just accept your differences we celebrate them. From bespoke solutions for our clients, to treating you like an individual. Our strength comes from your diverse ideas and bringing the whole you to work. So if you’re good at what you do, come as you are. We welcome direct applications and are happy to talk flexible working.
We also want you to be at your very best. Please feel free to let us know of any changes we can make at any point in the recruitment process that will help support your application. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.
Note for Recruitment Agencies – the DAC Beachcroft recruitment team is responsible for managing all current vacancies through direct hiring and referrals wherever possible. We do work with recruitment agencies and where we require external support we will formally release those vacancies to the agencies on our Preferred Supplier List deemed best placed to assist us. Speculative CVs sent by any agency to any DAC Beachcroft employee without a specific request by the recruitment team will not be accepted and with no introduction fee applicable. Our recruitment team can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org