Experienced Clinical Risk Paralegal - Newcastle
DAC Beachcroft is looking to recruit an Experienced Paralegal to join our Clinical Risk team in Newcastle. We are the market-leading and largest defendant clinical negligence and medical malpractice team in the UK. We have been acting for the NHS since its inception in 1948 and are an original panel firm for NHS Resolution (formerly the NHS Litigation Authority), as well as being proud to call the MDU and many private healthcare providers and their insurers as clients.
We offer genuine end-to-end expertise, from incident management, insurance notifications, and TPA claims handling, through to the most complex litigation in this field, involving group and representative action. This includes some of the largest group actions involving the NHS today, taking a cutting-edged approach to managing the complexities of such litigation.
Our Clinical Risk team has the largest share of the NHS Resolution's portfolio in this field, representing the biggest indemnity spend by the NHS Resolution. We are on the Medical Defence Union panel as their preferred provider for medical negligence claims, including high value claims and dental claims, and we act for three of the UK's five largest providers of independent acute hospital services.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Assisting team members with their interesting and high value caseloads to include dealing with disclosure issues, drafting cost budgets, assisting with CCMCs, instructing experts and counsel, liaising with witnesses, arranging conferences, drafting documents and undertaking research
- Running own caseload of limited instruction matters for NHS Resolution involving organising medical records, instructing experts and drafting short reports
- Running own caseload of pre-action medical malpractice matters
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Ideally will have completed their LPC or equivalent / ILEX
- Preferably with experience in defendant personal injury or claimant / defendant clinical negligence or an insurance claims handling background
- Strong technical skill and an ability to understand and work through complex issues
- A demonstrable ability to adopt a commercial perspective rather than an ‘academic’ approach to legal issues and to be highly client- focused
- Ability to deal confidently and professionally with clients on day to day issues building up strong relationships