Employment (Equal Pay) Paralegal, Leeds
The Employment and Pensions Group at DAC Beachcroft LLP is one of the largest teams in the UK. The team advises public, private and third sector employers on human resource issues from daily personnel matters, including disciplinary and grievance issues, to strategic management issues such as collective redundancy programmes, industrial action, transfers of employees both within and outside the UK.
The role is to become a member of our Mass Equal Pay Litigation Team supporting our solicitors with their caseload of employment tribunal claims and the management information/reporting requirements in respect of these. This is a fee earning role and a core element of the role will be to undertake a wide range of document management activities including collating and redacting documentation into bundles for use at Tribunal hearings. Attendance at Tribunals across the country may also be required, either in person, or remotely.
For the right candidate, the role could also include:
- Collating and working on an initial assessment of documents
- Considering evidence to establish relevant witnesses and checking availability
- Drafting basic witness statements
- Assisting with drafting and lodging defences to claims
- Drafting agendas and lists of issues for case management discussions
- Considering directions and complying eg preparing disclosure lists
- Drafting counter schedules of loss
- Drafting COT3s in advance of settlement and liaising with other side to agree settlement wording
- Drafting briefs to counsel and liaising with barristers and clerks
- Drafting applications to Employment Tribunals and liaising with Tribunals
- Drafting costs applications and preparing schedules of costs
- Researching points of law
- Regular liaison with trainees and lawyers to ensure the efficient management of caseloads and deadlines
The Ideal Candidate
- Previous experience of working as a paralegal would be ideal but is not essential (preferably from a claims handling background)
- A confident communicator. Able to deal effectively with internal and external contacts in both verbal and written communication in a clear concise and friendly manner
- An eye for quality and sound IT skills
- A flexible and self-motivated team player
- Familiarity with excel would be desirable
About the Company
We are a leading international legal business with over 2,900 colleagues and a diverse range of capabilities. We have 11 offices in the UK as well as offices in Dublin, Madrid, Paris, Milan, Rome, Singapore, Argentina Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Miami. We also have associations/alliances with firms in Malaysia, Brazil, Peru, Central America, the USA, Australia and Germany.
We are a broad-based commercial firm with a strong heritage in insurance, health and real estate. This is complemented by a fast-growing Business Advisory capability. We represent a wide range of clients, ranging from household names to government departments and NHS bodies. We act for all of the UK’s top-ten insurers, we are market leaders in the provision of strategic, commercial and regulatory advice to providers and commissioners in the health sector, and in real estate we advise all of the UK’s top-12 housebuilders.
We have an impressive legal pedigree, with 142 Chambers UK 2021 practice area and individual lawyer rankings. In Legal 500 UK 2021, the firm received a top tier ranking for 37 of its practice areas, and 58 DACB lawyers were singled out in the ‘Leading Individual' rankings.
Our successes have been recognised by the legal industry and the markets in which we operate. These accolades include two top prizes in the ‘Excellence in Business Development’ and ‘Excellence in Technology & Innovation’ categories of the 2020 Law Society Excellence Awards – the highest accolade for law firms in England & Wales. Our health sector team won the ‘Crisis Management Team of the Year’ award at the 2020 British Legal Awards for its support to the NHS at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, and our Cyber & Data Risk team received the ‘Business Development Innovation Award’ at the 2020 Legal Innovation Awards, as well as ‘Cyber Law Firm of the Year’ at the prestigious Insurance Insider Cyber Rankings Awards, for its market-leading suite of digital tools to help our clients prepare for and respond to cyber and data risk crises.
Our vision is to be leading business advisers, recognised for our insight and our outstanding commitment to clients, and for being the place where talented people want to work. For further details on our work and our culture, please visit www.dacbeachcroft.com.
At DAC Beachcroft, we don’t just accept your differences we celebrate them. From bespoke solutions for our clients, to treating you like an individual. Our strength comes from your diverse ideas and bringing the whole you to work. So if you’re good at what you do, come as you are. We welcome direct applications and are happy to talk flexible working.
We also want you to be at your very best. Please feel free to let us know of any changes we can make at any point in the recruitment process that will help support your application. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.
Note for Recruitment Agencies – the DAC Beachcroft recruitment team is responsible for managing all current vacancies through direct hiring and referrals wherever possible. We do work with recruitment agencies and where we require external support we will formally release those vacancies to the agencies on our Preferred Supplier List deemed best placed to assist us. Speculative CVs sent by any agency to any DAC Beachcroft employee without a specific request by the recruitment team will not be accepted and with no introduction fee applicable. Our recruitment team can be contacted at email@example.com