Data Protection - Associate (4-6 PQE)
Our information law team delivers market leading, industry specific data protection, freedom of information and data breach/cyber expertise. Work is growing fast here, resulting in an exciting opportunity for a new team member to help deliver our data protection advice to clients across the firm.
We have a varied and loyal client base of big-name brands, with a large focus on the financial services sector and a growing practice within other key sectors including health, technology and real estate. Our clients come to us for our pragmatic ability to solve problems.
The successful applicant will have solid experience in advising on data protection issues and be looking for accelerated career progression in a supportive environment. For the right candidate, this offers a genuine opportunity to make a big impact.
So, why should you be excited about a career with us? Our team are empowered to develop their own client contacts and relationships from the start of their careers; you will see how your contribution directly impacts on your clients and understand how the service you provide helps them. We are also very proud of our client base, who provide us with top-quality instructions. We have the backing of a truly international firm with over 2,500 colleagues across 9 countries and with a myriad of international associations further bolstering our capabilities.
We aim to encourage diversity by offering the opportunity to bring your whole self to work, underpinned by our employer brand of A Life That Works. Our team are very busy and work hard, but we offer genuine flexibility to allow you to meet your personal and work commitments – and that flexibility won’t disappear post-Covid! – it has been hardwired into our DNA for years. All across our team, from our emerging talent to our senior leadership, you won’t find a closed door, real or virtual. Read on for more information about our specific vacancy and the firm as a whole.
The successful candidate will work along Jade Kowalski and her team. You can expect a varied and interesting workload, focused on the aim of assisting clients to meet commercial objectives and manage risk including:
- Providing complex advice such as: data protection impact assessments; risk based analysis of data protection compliance of new projects and systems; the use of artificial intelligence; and structuring new initiatives, such as big data projects, marketing strategy and data sharing.
- Assisting with responses to ICO complaints and defending investigations.
- Dealing with complex data subject requests.
- Advising on the use of targeted advertising, cookies and new technologies.
- Drafting and negotiating data protection clauses.
- Advising on issues arising out of cross border transfers of data.
We would also expect the successful candidate to:
- Work flexibly with clients who may or may not be legally qualified.
- Develop an early awareness of the relationship with and position of client contacts.
- Take an active role in client relationship management.
- Support marketing and business development activity within the team e.g. article and newsletter authorship, attending marketing events and client training.
- Work with other practice groups to identify mutual business opportunities.
- Build effective internal and external networks.
The Ideal Candidate
- An Associate or Senior Associate with 4-6 years post qualification experience with a sole/significant focus on data protection. In-house experience will also be considered.
- A desire for accelerated career progression in a supportive environment.
- Excellent technical ability, particularly with drafting policies, drafting and negotiating data protection clauses in agreements, conducting data protection impact assessments and advising on cross border data transfers.
- Desire to help maintain existing and grow new client relationships.
- A reasonable level of self-sufficiency and initiative, combined with an awareness of the boundaries of own competence.
- Experience of supervising the work of others.
- An ability to adopt a commercial perspective rather than an ‘academic’ approach to legal issues.
- A genuine passion for this area of law and an interest in data protection developments, both legal and technological.
- Professional certifications such as IAPP CIPP/E and CIPM are desired (but not essential).
- Whilst we are flexible on location, the ideal candidate would be located in London or Manchester.
About the Company
We are a leading international legal business with over 2,500 colleagues and a diverse range of capabilities. We have 11 offices in the UK as well as offices in Dublin, Madrid, Paris, Singapore, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Miami. We also have associations/alliances with firms in Malaysia, Brazil, Peru, Argentina, Central America, the USA, Australia and Germany.
We are a broad-based commercial firm with a strong heritage in insurance, health and real estate. This is complemented by a fast-growing Business Advisory capability. We represent a wide range of clients, ranging from household names to government departments and NHS bodies. We act for all of the UK’s top-ten insurers, we are market leaders in the provision of strategic, commercial and regulatory advice to providers and commissioners in the health sector, and in real estate we advise all of the UK’s top-12 housebuilders.
We have an impressive legal pedigree, with 142 Chambers UK 2021 practice area and individual lawyer rankings. In Legal 500 UK 2021, the firm received a top tier ranking for 37 of its practice areas, and 58 DACB lawyers were singled out in the ‘Leading Individual' rankings.
Our successes have been recognised by the legal industry and the markets in which we operate. These accolades include two top prizes in the ‘Excellence in Business Development’ and ‘Excellence in Technology & Innovation’ categories of the 2020 Law Society Excellence Awards – the highest accolade for law firms in England & Wales. Our health sector team won the ‘Crisis Management Team of the Year’ award at the 2020 British Legal Awards for its support to the NHS at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, and our Cyber & Data Risk team received the ‘Business Development Innovation Award’ at the 2020 Legal Innovation Awards, as well as ‘Cyber Law Firm of the Year’ at the prestigious Insurance Insider Cyber Rankings Awards, for its market-leading suite of digital tools to help our clients prepare for and respond to cyber and data risk crises.
Our vision is to be leading business advisers, recognised for our insight and our outstanding commitment to clients, and for being the place where talented people want to work. For further details on our work and our culture, please visit www.dacbeachcroft.com.
At DAC Beachcroft, we don’t just accept your differences we celebrate them. From bespoke solutions for our clients, to treating you like an individual. Our strength comes from your diverse ideas and bringing the whole you to work. So if you’re good at what you do, come as you are. We welcome direct applications and are happy to talk flexible working.
We also want you to be at your very best. Please feel free to let us know of any changes we can make at any point in the recruitment process that will help support your application. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.
Note for Recruitment Agencies – the DAC Beachcroft recruitment team is responsible for managing all current vacancies through direct hiring and referrals wherever possible. We do work with recruitment agencies and where we require external support we will formally release those vacancies to the agencies on our Preferred Supplier List deemed best placed to assist us. Speculative CVs sent by any agency to any DAC Beachcroft employee without a specific request by the recruitment team will not be accepted and with no introduction fee applicable. Our recruitment team can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org