Clinical Risk Solicitor/Associate (0-5+PQE), Newcastle
DAC Beachcroft is looking to recruit a Solicitor (0-4 PQE+) or an Experienced Paralegal to join our Clinical Risk team in Newcastle. We are the market-leading and largest defendant clinical negligence and medical malpractice team in the UK. We have been acting for the NHS since its inception in 1948 and are an original panel firm for NHS Resolution (formerly the NHS Litigation Authority), as well as being proud to call the MDU and many private healthcare providers and their insurers as clients.
We offer genuine end-to-end expertise, from incident management, insurance notifications, and TPA claims handling, through to the most complex litigation in this field, involving group and representative action. This includes some of the largest group actions involving the NHS today, taking a cutting-edged approach to managing the complexities of such litigation.
Our Clinical Risk team has the largest share of the NHS Resolution's portfolio in this field, representing the biggest indemnity spend by the NHS Resolution. We are on the Medical Defence Union panel as their preferred provider for medical negligence claims, including high value claims and dental claims, and we act for three of the UK's five largest providers of independent acute hospital services.
- Handling a challenging but fulfilling caseload of defendant clinical negligence work acting for a variety of clients, which may include work for NHS Resolution, NHS Trusts, MDU, independent providers, and medical malpractice insurers.
- Drafting legal documents, conducting face to face negotiations and mediation of claims, preparing cases for and adhering to court deadlines.
- Engaging in direct client care, acting as first and primary contact for clients on a day to day basis, providing them with commercially focused legal advice, and adhering to their protocols and processes.
- Making an appropriate contribution to non-fee-earning activity. You will be encouraged to participate in knowledge sharing, training, client seminars, writing articles for publication both for in-house and external publications, and business development
The Ideal Candidate
- A 0-4+PQE Solicitor or Experienced Paralegal with experience in clinical negligence, personal injury, civil litigation, or insurance law.
- Experience of an NHS Resolution or MDO panel firm would be desirable but is not essential. We want the best candidates no matter what their background is.
- Strong technical and organisational skills to ensure a pragmatic and methodical approach to handling a variety of clinical negligence claims simultaneously, through an IT case management system.
- A demonstrable ability to adopt a commercial perspective rather than an ‘academic' approach to legal issues and to be highly client focused.
- Team oriented and collegiate with a willingness to mentor, coach and supervise less experienced members of teams.