Associate/Solicitor - Clinical Risk
We would like to recruit an additional lawyer at around the level of 2-6 years PQE to join our team of 35 (4 partners, 1 Legal Director, 6 senior associates, 18 lawyers & 6 paralegals) in Leeds.
- Handle a challenging caseload of high value defendant clinical negligence work on behalf of the NHS Resolution and the MDU. This will include drafting pleadings, witness statements and letters of response, liaison with the NHS Resolution, Trusts and other health bodies, conducting face to face negotiations and mediation of claims as well as preparing counter schedules of damages in high value claims.
- Act as first and primary contact for clients on a day to day basis providing them with commercially focused legal advice.
- Handle a varied workload in accordance with client protocols and with an appropriate level of supervision. Act as a point of contact for clients, demonstrating a level of knowledge and skill commensurate with experience.
- Adhering closely to client protocol and process.
- Make an appropriate contribution to non fee-earning activity e.g. knowledge sharing, training, client seminars, and writing of articles.
- Comply with the required standards for internal procedures e.g. financial management of files, billing regimes, etc as well as the specific requirements of individual clients.
- Support marketing and business development activity within the team e.g. attending marketing events and client training.
- Exercise full compliance with DAC Beachcroft protocols on billing and credit control and demonstrate a high level of financial management in respect of own files.
- Build an awareness of the Firm's other services. Build effective internal and external networks.
- Maintain an awareness of the firm's strategies and plans.
- Maintain and develop technical knowledge through attendance at training sessions, reading appropriate publications and exceeding Law Society CPD requirements.
- Handle confidential information in line with the firm's data security protocols.
The Ideal Candidate
- 2-6 years PQE Solicitor with a well-recognised firm, with considerable experience of handling complex clinical negligence claims, including those involving birth and other catastrophic injuries.
- Excellent relationship and client handling skills. Able to deal confidently and professionally with clients on day to day issues. Able to demonstrate a reasonable level of self-sufficiency, combined with an awareness of the boundaries of own competence/authority.
- An ability to adopt a commercial perspective rather than an ‘academic’ approach to legal issues.
- Confident communicator with the ability to negotiate and influence at all levels.
- Commercially minded and results driven, with the ability to see legal issues within the client’s broader operating environment.
- Able to handle a complex and constantly changing workload and to work under pressure.
About the Company
We are a leading international legal business with over 2,400 colleagues and a diverse range of capabilities. We have 11 offices in the UK as well as offices in Dublin, Madrid, Paris, Singapore, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Miami. We also have associations/alliances with firms in Northern Ireland, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Brazil, Peru, Central America, Argentina, the USA, Australia and Germany.
We are known for our market-leading presence in sectors such as Insurance, Health and Real Estate. This is complemented by a fast-growing Business Advisory capability. We represent a wide range of clients, ranging from household names to government departments and NHS bodies. We act for the majority of the top 30 insurance and financial services companies operating in the UK. We are the asset management lawyers for the UK’s largest shopping centres and act for 9 of the UK’s top 10 housebuilders.
We have an impressive legal pedigree, with 155 Chambers UK 2019 practice area and individual lawyer rankings, including 30 rankings at 'Band 1' level. In Legal 500 UK, 2018, the firm received top tier ranking for 32 of its practice areas and 59 practice areas in the top two tiers. In March 2018, we were named as one of Legal Week's Best Legal Advisors for the third year running, achieving category-leading satisfaction scores for our commercial approach, service delivery, quality of legal advice, communication & responsiveness and overall relationships.
Our vision is to be leading business advisers, recognised for our insight and our outstanding commitment to clients, and for being the place where talented people want to work. For further details on our work and our culture, please visit www.dacbeachcroft.com.
DAC Beachcroft is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. We also welcome direct applications. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.