Associate - Professional Indemnity
We are looking for a new addition to our highly regarded Professional & Commercial Risk team in Newport/Bristol to undertake a varied caseload of professional indemnity work. The team is ranked Tier 1 in both the Chambers and Legal 500 directories.
Our Professional & Commercial Risk team in Newport and Bristol is one of the largest groups in the South West and are the only Defence panel firm for Insurers in Wales. It advises insurers and professionals when faced with the threat of a negligence claim, acts on numerous high value and sensitive claims for clients throughout the UK, involving both 'traditional', (i.e. solicitors, surveyors, etc.) and the 'emerging' professions. It has particular experience in solicitors’ regulatory/disciplinary work which is on the increase.
The team also specialises in providing insurer clients with advice and guidance on insurance policy coverage issues and handles delicate relationships between insurers, insureds and brokers.
Claims often involve complex contractual, technical and factual issues with large sums at stake. The wider team is particularly experienced in the deployment of alternative dispute resolution techniques.
Specific responsibilities include but are not restricted to:
- Handling a workload of professional indemnity claims mainly relating to solicitors but with an opportunity of also handling claims for:
- Property professionals
- Planning consultants
- Insurance brokers
- Insolvency practitioners
- Other miscellaneous professions
- Handling under supervision regulatory/disciplinary investigations and proceedings pursued by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.
- Acting as a key point of contact for our leading professional indemnity insurer clients; demonstrating a level of knowledge and skill commensurate with experience.
- Supporting marketing and business development activity within the team e.g. attending marketing events and client training.
- Building an awareness of the firm's other services. Build effective internal and external networks.
- Maintaining an awareness of the firm's strategies and plans.
- Maintaining and developing technical knowledge through attendance at training sessions, reading appropriate publications and exceeding SRA CPD requirements.
- Exercising full compliance with DAC Beachcroft protocols on billing and credit control and demonstrate sound financial management in respect of own files.
The Ideal Candidate
- Suitable candidates will be 3+pqe with relevant professional indemnity experience. Ideally this will come from a defendant background and will have some regulatory experience but we will consider candidates with claimant experience.
- The successful candidate will join an extremely busy team and will have fantastic exposure to a complex and varied workload along with great support.
- Excellent communication, relationship and client handling skills are essential for this role.
- Ability to deal confidently and professionally with clients on day to day issues.
- Ability to demonstrate a reasonable level of self-sufficiency, combined with an awareness of the boundaries of own competence/authority.
- An ability to adopt a commercial perspective rather than an ‘academic’ approach to legal issues.
- Change oriented with a positive, flexible approach towards the implementation of new initiatives.
- Team oriented and collegiate with a willingness to share knowledge with and support other members of the team.
About the Company
We are a leading international legal business with over 2,400 colleagues and a diverse range of capabilities. We have 11 offices in the UK as well as offices in Dublin, Madrid, Paris, Singapore, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Miami. We also have associations/alliances with firms in Northern Ireland, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Brazil, Peru, Central America, Argentina, the USA, Australia and Germany.
We are known for our market-leading presence in sectors such as Insurance, Health and Real Estate. This is complemented by a fast-growing Business Advisory capability. We represent a wide range of clients, ranging from household names to government departments and NHS bodies. We act for the majority of the top 30 insurance and financial services companies operating in the UK. We are the asset management lawyers for the UK’s largest shopping centres and act for 9 of the UK’s top 10 housebuilders.
We have an impressive legal pedigree, with 155 Chambers UK 2019 practice area and individual lawyer rankings, including 30 rankings at 'Band 1' level. In Legal 500 UK, 2018, the firm received top tier ranking for 32 of its practice areas and 59 practice areas in the top two tiers. In March 2018, we were named as one of Legal Week's Best Legal Advisors for the third year running, achieving category-leading satisfaction scores for our commercial approach, service delivery, quality of legal advice, communication & responsiveness and overall relationships.
Our vision is to be leading business advisers, recognised for our insight and our outstanding commitment to clients, and for being the place where talented people want to work. For further details on our work and our culture, please visit www.dacbeachcroft.com.
DAC Beachcroft is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. We also welcome direct applications. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.