Associate - Construction
The Global Construction group is comprised of 3 Partners, 1 Consultant, 1 Senior Associate, 7 Assistant Solicitors and a Paralegal dealing with these principal types of work:-
1. Direct Contentious Construction Work
The Group acts for Employers, Insurers, Main Contractors and Sub-Contractors in contentious matters relating to time and money. These matters are invariably resolved by way of mediation, adjudication or High Court proceedings. We tend to conduct mediations and adjudications without the assistance of Counsel. High Court proceedings involve the use of barristers with construction expertise. In all cases there is heavy reliance on expert evidence both in the areas of quantum and delay. Occasionally there will be a call for experts in technical issues.
2. International Arbitration Work
The Group acts principally for Main Contractors in International Arbitration work. These disputes normally involve arguments over time, money and defects under a FIDIC based contract. They can be governed by rules of arbitration e.g. ICC Rules but can also be ad hoc arbitrations. The seat of the arbitration can be anywhere in the world. Often Counsel are instructed.
3. Construction Insurance
The Group has been acting in several insurance-backed pieces of construction litigation. The clients include Zurich and Swiss Re, This is an area that we hope to see grow over the next few years. This involves coverage, monitoring and litigating matters principally for design and build contractor insureds.
4. General Construction Advice
The Group with the assistance of the transactional team does provide advice to clients regarding contract procurement and the drafting of bespoke contracts and subcontracts. We also advise on EU procurement issues.
Due to growth plans, we are now looking for 2 new Solicitors/Associates to join our excellent construction team.
Specific responsibilities include but are not restricted to:
• Interest and appetite for contentious construction work. Will be expected to read around the subject so able to hold sensible and meaningful conversations with construction and engineering clients and contacts.
• Need to be well versed in adjudication procedure and keep up to date with relevant case law or adjudication. Ability to draft "pleadings" in adjudications and conduct adjudications.
• Need to be prepared to provide support in international matters, knowledge of procedure and rules.
• Be prepared to run High Court cases in technically complex matters.
• Handle a varied workload in accordance with client protocols. Act as a point of contact for clients and experts, demonstrating a level of knowledge and skill commensurate with experience.
• Exercise full compliance with DAC Beachcroft protocols on billing and credit control and demonstrate a high level of financial management in respect of own files.
• Aim to achieve a minimum budgeted annual target of 1440 (1500 for bonus purposes) chargeable hours per year.
• Support marketing and business development activity within the team eg attending marketing events and client training.
• Build an awareness of the Firm's other services. Build effective internal and external networks.
• Maintain an awareness of the firm's strategies and plans.
• Maintain and develop technical knowledge through attendance at training sessions, reading appropriate publications and exceeding Law Society CPD requirements.
• Handle confidential information in line with the firm's data security protocols.
The Ideal Candidate
• Qualified solicitor with 3-8 years PQE (or equivalent) in construction litigation and construction insurance.
• Excellent relationship and client handling skills. Able to deal confidently and professionally with clients on day to day issues. Able to demonstrate a reasonable level of self-sufficiency, combined with an awareness of the boundaries of own competence/authority.
• Change oriented with a positive, flexible approach towards the implementation of new initiatives.
• Team oriented and collegiate with a willingness to share knowledge with and support other members of the team.
About the Company
We are a leading international legal business with over 2,400 colleagues and a diverse range of capabilities. We have 11 offices in the UK as well as offices in Dublin, Madrid, Paris, Singapore, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Miami. We also have associations/alliances with firms in Northern Ireland, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Brazil, Peru, Central America, Argentina, the USA, Australia and Germany.
We are known for our market-leading presence in sectors such as Insurance, Health and Real Estate. This is complemented by a fast-growing Business Advisory capability. We represent a wide range of clients, ranging from household names to government departments and NHS bodies. We act for the majority of the top 30 insurance and financial services companies operating in the UK. We are the asset management lawyers for the UK’s largest shopping centres and act for 9 of the UK’s top 10 housebuilders.
We have an impressive legal pedigree, with 155 Chambers UK 2019 practice area and individual lawyer rankings, including 30 rankings at 'Band 1' level. In Legal 500 UK, 2018, the firm received top tier ranking for 32 of its practice areas and 59 practice areas in the top two tiers. In March 2018, we were named as one of Legal Week's Best Legal Advisors for the third year running, achieving category-leading satisfaction scores for our commercial approach, service delivery, quality of legal advice, communication & responsiveness and overall relationships.
Our vision is to be leading business advisers, recognised for our insight and our outstanding commitment to clients, and for being the place where talented people want to work. For further details on our work and our culture, please visit www.dacbeachcroft.com.
DAC Beachcroft is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. We also welcome direct applications. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.